Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Current Topics tackled...
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 5:44PM #1
Lion_of_Leo
By the Presiding Bishop from Huffingtonpost...

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/27/kathar...

I found it to be an interesting article. I like the part about there being 3 creation stories. I also liked what she said about church membership. It was easier 50 years ago. 

Peace & Blessings,

Leo    
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:20PM #2
Nino0814

As a scientist and a research, PB Katherine Jefforts Schori knows how to critically evaluate information (both scientific and religious).  IMO this type of article is exactly what TEC needs more of.  The people who are unaffiliated with any religion, or "dropped out" of their church, will find our "middle way" and critical thinking refreshing.  It begs the question, "how can they still believe in Christ and think so critically".   

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:34PM #3
GRobit625

She has the right to her opinion, but if I were her, I'd start being concerned about numbers. Without parishioners, there no need for these many dioceses and excess of clergy. So she can stop pretending that numbers aren't a factor. No one is that blind...I hope. Her marine biology doctorate does not add credibility to her episcopacy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:41PM #4
Jupiter6208

Well i guess we all should be very glad that you are not her right? Wink

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:45PM #5
GRobit625

Mar 27, 2012 -- 8:41PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Well i guess we all should be very glad that you are not her right? 

If you like leaders who live in a dream world instead of reality I guess so. Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 8:53AM #6
RJMcElwain

I think Bishop Katherine is an excellent spokesperson for the denomination. And I agree that TEC has an excellent message for those seeking. However, I think we do a lousey job of getting that message out.

I also think we have way too much hierarchy for our size. I'd like to see a Resolution at General Convention calling for halfing the number of Diocese we have. If such a Resolution were offered, I think it would pass the House of Deputies with ease, and be killed, resoundingly, in the House of Bishops. But it's still a good idea.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:55AM #7
journeying

We should be recombined with Pittsburgh but we don't want to be part of their troubles. It will be interesting to see whom they elect as bishop.

Fewer dioceses means what? Fewer people at convention? More work for bishops? Bishops' role redefined? What criteria should be used to combine?

I'm curious to read what part you think a diocese should play in TEC, Bob.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:57AM #8
Dutch777

Mar 28, 2012 -- 8:53AM, RJMcElwain wrote:

I think Bishop Katherine is an excellent spokesperson for the denomination. And I agree that TEC has an excellent message for those seeking. However, I think we do a lousey job of getting that message out.

I agree that she is an excellent spokesperson; balanced and moderate.  I do believe she should be very concerned about "numbers" and begin doing something substantive about it --- e.g. our seminary training.  That must begin with a better filtering process and emphasize training for community outreach and effective evangelism.  We don't need doltish sacramentalizers; we need activist evangelizers who are capable of rolling up their sleeves and getting "down-'n-dirty" in this necessary process.

I also think we have way too much hierarchy for our size. I'd like to see a Resolution at General Convention calling for halfing the number of Diocese we have. If such a Resolution were offered, I think it would pass the House of Deputies with ease, and be killed, resoundingly, in the House of Bishops. But it's still a good idea.

I'm in full agreement.  Of course, the HoB will vote its own interests first.  They don't want to become part of the unemployment stats.  What other occupation could they enter?  I'd suggest they don an apron and paper cap and flip-flip-flip at White Castle.  Tongue Out

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:06AM #9
RJMcElwain

Mar 28, 2012 -- 9:57AM, Dutch777 wrote:

Mar 28, 2012 -- 8:53AM, RJMcElwain wrote:

I agree that she is an excellent spokesperson; balanced and moderate.  I do believe she should be very concerned about "numbers" and begin doing something substantive about it --- e.g. our seminary training.  That must begin with a better filtering process and emphasize training for community outreach and effective evangelism.  We don't need doltish sacramentalizers; we need activist evangelizers who are capable of rolling up their sleeves and getting "down-'n-dirty" in this necessary process.

I'm in full agreement.  Of course, the HoB will vote its own interests first.  They don't want to become part of the unemployment stats.  What other occupation could they enter?  I'd suggest they don an apron and paper cap and flip-flip-flip at White Castle.  Tongue Out

Agreed. We do a horrible job of personnel screening, both for those seeking the priesthood and for those wanted to be a Bishop. There's far too much control of the process by those already ordained.

And, for the life of me, I don't understand why a successful priest would want to be a Bishop. I've seen the job and it ain't pretty.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:10AM #10
journeying

Mar 28, 2012 -- 10:06AM, RJMcElwain wrote:

And, for the life of me, I don't understand why a successful priest would want to be a Bishop. I've seen the job and it ain't pretty.

I think ours is loving it but he is young and strong still. He may look elsewhere eventually as his latest attempts to revive congregations doesn't seem to be working very well. Or maybe I'm not seeing the results correctly. Ya gotta give him A for effort tho.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook