Switch to Forum Live View Belief-o-matic results for Latter-day Saints
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 12:26PM #1
Weivrevo
So, I have not been very active on Beliefnet for the past few years, but this morning I came and, out of curiosity, retook the Belief-o-matic quiz. On the page that describes the beliefs of Latter-day Saints, there are a couple of things that seem in need of being changed.

1. Under the Salvation heading, there is no mention whatsoever of grace. I feel this inaccurately describes the doctrine of the Church. See www.lds.org/study/topics/grace?lang=eng&...

2. The Salvation section seems to split confirmation and the laying on of hands to receive the Holy Spirit into two separate ordinances. They are not. See www.lds.org/study/topics/laying-on-of-ha...

3. Grammatically and stylistically the entire Salvation section is problematic. The writer/s switch/es voice from imperitive to descriptive in an erratic manner. One sentence illustrates this particularly well. "Baptism at age 8 is necessary, the age of accountability, and be confirmed as a member of the church." Considering point 2, above, This should read either, "Baptism at age 8, the age of accountability, is necessary, as is being confirmed a member of the Church and being given the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands by one who holds priesthood authority." OR "Be baptized at age 8, the age of accountability, and be confirmed a member of the Church and given the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands by one who holds priesthood authority.

4. The simplistic characterization of abortion as wrong under the  Contemporary Issues section does not encompass the complexity of this issue. I feel a more accurate description would be, "Abortion as a method of birth control is wrong; abortion in exceptional cases such as rape, incest, when the life of the mother is endangered, or when the baby has severe defects that will not allow he or she or survive birth, may be justified after counseling with one's church leaders and receiving confirmation through earnest prayer." See www.lds.org/study/topics/abortion?lang=e...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 6:04PM #2
withwonderingawe

I think you're right

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 2:44AM #3
moksha8088

Welcome to the forum Weivrevo.

The Belief-O-Matic quiz is for fun.  Gets people thinking about where they stand in regards to organized religious traditions.

www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/...

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 12:47PM #4
Weivrevo

Moksha:

Yes, it is for "fun." But if it can be made more accurate, shouldn't it?! :)

I should have clarified that I am wondering to whom (at Beliefnet) such a change can be recommended. 

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 9:01PM #5
moksha8088

Apr 1, 2012 -- 12:47PM, Weivrevo wrote:

I should have clarified that I am wondering to whom (at Beliefnet) such a change can be recommended. 

Thanks!

The main people are the moderators Merope, Ranger Ken and Star Dove.

community.beliefnet.com/merope

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook