Switch to Forum Live View what are you doing for Lent?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2012 - 1:35AM #1
TomeReader
Are you doing anything special for Lent? Instead of approaching Lent negatively (doing without something), I've decided to approach it positively by doing three things: 1. Spending time on my photography to express my long repressed creativity. 2. Reading some sort of Lent-related book. 3. At a friend's suggestion, doing something positive for myself by more fully accepting God's gracious creation of who I am (no more details forthcoming for personal reasons).

Lynn
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2012 - 12:50PM #2
teilhard

Indeed, "Lent" is NOT simply a Time for Self-DENIAL, but more so, for turning one's Life around in a more Positive Direction -- toward "God" and Neighbor ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 9:04AM #3
WannabeTheo

I am abstaining from alcohol.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 2:10PM #4
allan444

Mar 2, 2012 -- 9:04AM, WannabeTheo wrote:

I am abstaining from alcohol.

I guess that means you won’t be celebrating  Purim (Feast of Lots) in solidarity with our Jewish brothers and sisters .   This holiday will be coming up next Tues/Wed - March 7/8  Cool.

-- 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 9:53PM #5
teilhard

So, how did "Lent" turn out for everybody ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 10:21AM #6
TOMinAZ

I didn't feel particularly Lentish this year. I'm not exactly sure why.

I've felt rather disconnected from our adult education offerings for over a year, listening instead to online classes. I don't care for the particular direction the facilitator has taken the class. But that was way before Lent. I felt the whole Advent season quite normally, and Christmas was wonderful. Even Epiphany felt normal.

I recently invited a friend to my congregation. He's been going through a rough time in his life, and he was raised Lutheran and so he's reconnecting to his faith. I've helped answer questions, and have shared readings with him. He started coming back just about when Lent started, which perhaps could have given me focus on the season, but it really hasn't.

I went to just one midweek Lenten service, using the Holden Evening Prayer, which I just love. The service was nice, but I just didn't feel Lentish. Just rather like a normal vespers service.

I've done my daily devotions using "Christ in Our Home", I don't recall missing a Sunday this year so far. Overall, things are pretty normal.

Maybe I'm just "seasoned out". I'll see what this weekend feels like.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 12:08PM #7
WannabeTheo

Apr 4, 2012 -- 10:21AM, TOMinAZ wrote:

I can relate.  I basically passed on Lent this year.  With the exception of Ash Wednesday, I didn't attend any of the Wednesday evening services.  I even skipped a Sunday service.  No special readings, prayers or devotions.  Nor did I stick to my Lenten discipline of abstaining from alcohol.

I don't really have an explanation; maybe I'm just going throug a spiritual dry spell.

I do plan to attend Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 1:29PM #8
teilhard

Indeed, maybe Holy Week will "work" Spiritually for us who are weary ...

Apr 5, 2012 -- 12:08PM, WannabeTheo wrote:

Apr 4, 2012 -- 10:21AM, TOMinAZ wrote:

I can relate.  I basically passed on Lent this year.  With the exception of Ash Wednesday, I didn't attend any of the Wednesday evening services.  I even skipped a Sunday service.  No special readings, prayers or devotions.  Nor did I stick to my Lenten discipline of abstaining from alcohol.

I don't really have an explanation; maybe I'm just going throug a spiritual dry spell.

I do plan to attend Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 2:41PM #9
allan444

I tried  fasting (except for water) last week  from  Sunday to (Palm) Sunday . I found  it to be a good experience . During that time I could focus more and  it  seemed to improve my prayer time. I also found that I could deal better with some  trying times at work as well as in dealing  with the death of a close relative both of  which just so happened to  occur last  week.  Quite unexpectedly after the first 3 days there very little desire to eat.

P.S. I read that Jesus rose from the dead on the Jewish Holiday of  Firstfruits (Yom HaBikkurim)  which this year happens fall on  April 9 and which I assume  begins sundown the day before which would be  Easter Sunday the 8th

And Paul fittingly writes

…..”but Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep….”

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook