Switch to Forum Live View The “Gettysburg” of the culture War
2 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2012 - 7:49AM #1
Acts 28:22
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 2:52AM #2
moksha8088

More on religion vs. the equal protection clause of the Constitution.  I suppose as long as we weave being persecuted for our uniqueness into the conversation, this plan might work.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 1:29PM #3
MysticWanderer

Marriage is both a civil and religious institution today, be that for better or worse.  The government has attached numerous privileges and obligations by statute to those who chose to embrace this commitment.  It is my understanding (from my bishop) that the marriage he performed for my wife and I was a civil ceremony NOT to be confused with the celestial marriage prescribed by the church itself.  I am just as married as my son and his wife who stood before a county clerk and made their commitment.  None of us will ave this relationship after our death, it is purely for this life.  The sealing power which the church exerts through the temples is safe from civil action by the first amendment, let the state have the civil marriage and recognize whom it will while we remain true to our teachings.  Remember, " We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook