Switch to Forum Live View "Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation" Elton Trueblood
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 7:04AM #1
Nino0814

I saw this quote when I signed in this morning.  Wow!  I love this message!  Wouldn't it be wonderful if all Christians could adopted this point of view about faith?

Just think of the number of false ideologies and misplaced trust that would lose support if Christians really sort evidence for their core convictions. 

What would it be like to have "trust without reservation" on matters like, "loving our neighbor as ourself".

Do you agree?  Do you believe there are matters of our Faith that would not be covered by this point of view?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 1:00PM #2
Dutch777

Nino,

The Hebrew word for "faith"is "emun" and conveys the idea of complete trust and hope, without doctrinal or ideological implications.  The quote you posted reflects this understanding.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 12:31AM #3
GRobit625

That sure does get thrown around a lot round' here..."Love your neighbor as yourself" as if that is the only thing to being a Christian. You can love a person and still not accept what people do and how they live. It's not a foreign concept.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 4:26PM #4
BBarton

I like that view on faith, it goes along with my own; Faith isn't something to practice once a week, but a way to think, speak and be.  That's how I think the kingdom of heaven is to be shared.  I won't bully or belittle and expect another to get there.  Indeed if I had to, I would know I was outside the kingdom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 8:58PM #5
RJMcElwain

Feb 26, 2012 -- 4:26PM, BBarton wrote:

I like that view on faith, it goes along with my own; Faith isn't something to practice once a week, but a way to think, speak and be.  

Kind of makes me think of Tillich's "Ground of Being".  Smile

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2012 - 3:38AM #6
BBarton

Thanks Robert, (I had to look him up)

You're probably right.  If God's name is "I Am", the first person of "to be" or being, then the source of all being is that divine I Am, rather than the limited box of a third person perspective.

As a child, I asked a teenage aunt where God is, if not in the sky.  She answered, God is in everything and nothing could be without God, not even a table.  Later when I learned about the energy in atoms, her statement agreed.

Often it seems the third person perspective can distance us from knowledge; whether through the lens of religion or science.  It is only in relation to the subject that we gather understanding. 

Jesus' religion was teaching people a 3rd person perspective of God.

Jesus taught people to be in relationship with the divine "I Am" (God).  That's why he taught us to call God, "Father".  What a wonderful door to relationship in the mind of man.  No wonder for the understanding of him as the "Logos".  His teachings and words brought/bring life, awarness, ability to transcend the mundane, the error, even situations and circumstances. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2012 - 1:51PM #7
Dutch777

Mar 18, 2012 -- 1:35PM, Nino0814 wrote:

Here's an example of how the notion that faith is belief without evidence can be easily trashed and then used to disiseminate disbelief in Christianity: vimeo.com/37931163

Nino,

In his Dynamics Of Faith, Paul Tillich draws a sharp and cogent distinction between "faith" and "belief" i.e. the doctrinal content of faith.  Those who do not / cannot draw such a distinction fall within the category discussed by Dr. Bossanian.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2012 - 2:14PM #8
Nino0814

Freud called religion "infantile wish fulfillment" because of the view that faith is belief without evidence.  People who hold this point of view are usually distinterested in discussing a rationale for their faith, or they become hostile toward those who challenge there beliefs.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook