Switch to Forum Live View BYU ranked No. 2 most popular school in America
3 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 3:44PM #1
Acts 28:22
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 11:12PM #2
moksha8088

This does seem to alter the meaning of the word popular.  I imagine the vast majority of US college students would not want to attend BYU.  However, that is not to detract from the many things that BYU does well. BYU sports teams have an unbroken record of moral victories since they first hit the field.  Who else can make that claim?  BTW, David O. McKay was a very fine quarterback for the University of Utah back in 1897.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2012 - 9:52PM #3
BillThinks4Himself

I hated the politics and the injustices, like gutting our student government to create a five-member handpicked squad of "candidates," one of whom would get to be "president" of our "service" organization, while the other four got to be vice-presidents.

I was there when the September Six got excommunicated and felt the chill that whipped through Happy Valley.

I didn't like how certain people, because of their association with high-ranking LDS leaders, were untouchable while others were nobodies.

But these were family feuds over ideals and the gap between them and practice.

My experience at BYU was largely wonderful.  I got a great education at the fraction of its worth.  Many of the Latter-day Saints I went to school with were great people, neither the ward nutjob nor the stake Nephi.  They were "normal" people who lived extraordinary lives, humbly trying to get somewhere with their lives, caught in that weird sandwich between a cynical, dirty world and the crazies who think it their destiny to rule over the rest of us.

I learned to ski at BYU.  I learned Latin, Hebrew and Greek.  I picked up dual degrees and married a fine woman.  We lived on nothing and enjoyed great happiness all the same.

BYU was good to us.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook