Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Projection screens for services, yea or nay?
3 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2011 - 1:06PM #1
G_Erdner
How many of you are at churches that are using projection or flat panel screens to display the liturgy and hymns, instead of hymnals and/or bulletins?

How is it working out for you? What resources do you use for content?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2011 - 6:36PM #2
WannabeTheo

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but the few times I've been to services with projection screens, I didn't like it.  Primarily because I have enough musical experience that I much prefer seeing the music, not just lyrics.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how practical it is to include the music on a projection.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2011 - 7:10PM #3
G_Erdner

Dec 14, 2011 -- 6:36PM, WannabeTheo wrote:

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but the few times I've been to services with projection screens, I didn't like it.  Primarily because I have enough musical experience that I much prefer seeing the music, not just lyrics.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how practical it is to include the music on a projection.

I prepare the slides for my congregation. I include music with lyrics for all the liturgical music, like Kyrie, Hymn of Praise, etc. We have LBW and WOV in the pews, so if a hymn is in either of those books, I only include lyrics on the screen. If the hymn is only in ELW or some other source, then I include music notes as well as lyrics.

Sundays and Seasons doesn't make that easy. They provide a .TIF file with all the lyrics included for use in bulletins. I have to use a graphics editor to trim that down to a separate file for each verse. It takes a little time, but it works.

So, as long as you have someone who knows what he's doing making the slides, including the music is practical though a little difficult.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2011 - 9:56PM #4
TomeReader

Our church uses PowerPoint for the Wednesday evening campus ministry praise service. My son said that one time they couldn't get the projector to work and everything came to a halt. Our 26 year old son immediately thought to himself: "This wouldn't happen if we used hymnals!"

On Sundays we use a bulletin. We didn't want to spend the money to buy multiple copies of the ELW so the music director, the pastor, and the other staff and volunteers assemble the liturgy and hymns into a recyclable bulletin.

Lynn

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2011 - 11:01PM #5
teilhard

I don't like the Screens ...

Every one I have seen has (Song -- NOT "Hymn") Lyrics, but NO Music Notations ...

The Screen DISTRACTS from The Altar ... and from the Person next to me ...

The Words-on-The-Screen are (generally) NOT available to be taken HOME with The Worshiper ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2011 - 11:55AM #6
G_Erdner

Dec 15, 2011 -- 11:01PM, teilhard wrote:

I don't like the Screens ...

Every one I have seen has (Song -- NOT "Hymn") Lyrics, but NO Music Notations ...

The Screen DISTRACTS from The Altar ... and from the Person next to me ...

The Words-on-The-Screen are (generally) NOT available to be taken HOME with The Worshiper ...

If you've never seen screens with the music notation, that means you haven't seen them. It doesn't mean that they don't exist.

The screen containing the words that the worshipper says in response to what the worship leader says are no more or less distracting than a hymnal or bulletin. One must focus one's eyes on either one in order to know what words to say. When it comes time for the Prayer of the Day, which changes each Sunday, what difference is it if the congregation is looking beside the altar at a screen, or down at a piece of paper in their hands? They're still looking at the words they are to speak, right?

I'll admit that for the first few times, the newness of any innovation can be distracting. Switching from doing the Lutheran Shuffle with hymnal and bulletin to a purely bulletin based service can have the same effect for a week or two.

How many people actually take home the propers and ordinaries for each Sunday? The Scripture readings are taken from the Bibles that they already have at home. They should have a copy of the hymnal at home as well, right? So what texts are there to be taken home with the worshipper that (1) are usually taken home and (2) aren't things the worshipper already has at home?

I've never encountered any church that used a bulletin service that encouraged anyone to take their bulletins home. Far more common was asking them to put the used bulletins in a bin so that the paper could be recycled.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2011 - 3:12PM #7
tawonda

My gut reaction to projection screens is that I hate them. Too much like office Powerpoint presentation.

I like hymnals. When I was a child I think I got most of my religious education from reading the hymnal during the service, both the liturgy going on and all the other interesting bits in it. (Whether that's possible with ELW...well, let's not get into that.) I think it's a teaching tool. And it's a devotional tool; I think the prayers and Psalms are helpful for people in the pew whether or not they're actually the ones of the day.

That said...we have a situation at our church where a projection screen may be in our future. We have, on the basis of congregational feedback, gone considerably higher up the candle than the rather truncated, bland orders of service we've been using via Sundays and Seasons. In fact, we're going back to the LBW Setting I, chanting and all. People love it.

But now we don't have enough hymnals to go around. So our options include asking for other congregations' old LBWs...or buying more ELWs, which are user-unfriendly (I think of myself as a fairly intelligent person as well as a church geek and can't maneuver the Chinese menu of options to save my life) and I think will unravel all the good that the "new" old liturgy is working in the congregation...or using a screen to project the LBW pages.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2011 - 5:50PM #8
G_Erdner

Dec 17, 2011 -- 3:12PM, tawonda wrote:

My gut reaction to projection screens is that I hate them. Too much like office Powerpoint presentation.

I like hymnals. When I was a child I think I got most of my religious education from reading the hymnal during the service, both the liturgy going on and all the other interesting bits in it. (Whether that's possible with ELW...well, let's not get into that.) I think it's a teaching tool. And it's a devotional tool; I think the prayers and Psalms are helpful for people in the pew whether or not they're actually the ones of the day.

That said...we have a situation at our church where a projection screen may be in our future. We have, on the basis of congregational feedback, gone considerably higher up the candle than the rather truncated, bland orders of service we've been using via Sundays and Seasons. In fact, we're going back to the LBW Setting I, chanting and all. People love it.

But now we don't have enough hymnals to go around. So our options include asking for other congregations' old LBWs...or buying more ELWs, which are user-unfriendly (I think of myself as a fairly intelligent person as well as a church geek and can't maneuver the Chinese menu of options to save my life) and I think will unravel all the good that the "new" old liturgy is working in the congregation...or using a screen to project the LBW pages.

LBW 1 is one of the few services I don't have an example of. However, I have several examples of what an LBW 2 service looks like in Power Point, using Sundays and Seasons ordinaries and propers. If you send me an e-mail to g_erdner@yahoo.com, I'll send you a few copies of previous slide sets I've done. You can see how a slide set can be helpful without being distracting.

I understand the tendency to compare liturgy slides to workplace Power Point presentations. When liturgy slides are done right, the only comparison is that both use similar technology, just as a business report and a church bulletin can both be prepared using Word, printed on an ink-jet printer, and copied in a photocopier.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2011 - 7:54PM #9
Dfg

Tawonda,

Why not use setting 3 in ELW, it's the same setting as setting 1 in LBW?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2011 - 8:26PM #10
G_Erdner

Dec 27, 2011 -- 7:54PM, Dfg wrote:

Tawonda,

Why not use setting 3 in ELW, it's the same setting as setting 1 in LBW?

What I meant was that I don't have an LBW Setting 1 Power Point slide set assembled, ready to go. I can put together a slide set for any setting from LBW, WOV, ELW, or any other hymnal that the ELCA has on Sundays and Seasons. Anyone with a license can put one together. It's just a matter of taking the time to do it. What I have already downloaded, formatted, and ready to go are the ones my congregation uses. They are LBW 2, WOV 5, ELW 2, and Marty Haugen's "Now the Feast and Celebration".

My pastor has suggested that I offer to make slide sets for other congregations, since I've been looking for a new job for some time now with no results. I think he has a good idea. Any congregation I prepare slides for would need to have a Sundays and Seasons license or a license for Concordia's equivalent service. I can put together whatever setting, hymns, and order of worship any congregation wanted, using materials that they have a license for, or else public domain content like background graphics.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook