3 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2011 - 10:31AM #1
Writerchick

I stumbled on this website looking for information on becoming an Episcopalian.
I had been raised to attend church regularlly because mostly being of the Southern Baptist leanings of my grandparents, I never found a church I really called home.  While I was raised with a strong Christian upbringing, even my grandmother found it difficult to find one church she felt at home attending.

As a result, I never sought to attend myself.  Until a few years ago, that's when I had a lot of upheaval and unhappiness in my life.  I started searching for answers to a purpose in life.  A few months ago a dear friend (who is Catholic btw) said maybe you should look into the Episcopal church.  I knew they were much different from my Southern Baptist idea of church.

A few weeks ago I walked into a small Episcopal church near where I live.  Its a building I had been fascinated with for most of my life because it is one of the oldest structures in the town and I love Gothic Revival architecture.

In a few moments of attending this church, I knew this was my spiritual home.  And I'm on my way to become an Episcopalian.  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2011 - 11:03AM #2
Dutch777

Newbie,

Welcome.  It's a pleasure to have you with us on the Anglican/Episcopal Board and as a newcomer to TEC.  Please feel free to contribute or participate in any way.

I see that you're from W.V..   I lived in Logan County for 5 1/2 yrs. and found the people most hospitable and friendly; true Southern hospitality.   May I ask where in W.V. you're located ?

Many of us here are from different churches originally.  I was raised and educated RC.

Again, you are most welcomed here.  Smile

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2011 - 1:57PM #3
RJMcElwain

WriterChick,

Take a look at the first post in the "TEC" thread further down. It's an excellent statement about who Episcopalians are.

And welcome.

Bob

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2011 - 12:47PM #4
Douglas_macneill

Nov 18, 2011 -- 10:31AM, Writerchick wrote:

I stumbled on this website looking for information on becoming an Episcopalian.
I had been raised to attend church regularlly because mostly being of the Southern Baptist leanings of my grandparents, I never found a church I really called home.  While I was raised with a strong Christian upbringing, even my grandmother found it difficult to find one church she felt at home attending.

As a result, I never sought to attend myself.  Until a few years ago, that's when I had a lot of upheaval and unhappiness in my life.  I started searching for answers to a purpose in life.  A few months ago a dear friend (who is Catholic btw) said maybe you should look into the Episcopal church.  I knew they were much different from my Southern Baptist idea of church.

A few weeks ago I walked into a small Episcopal church near where I live.  Its a building I had been fascinated with for most of my life because it is one of the oldest structures in the town and I love Gothic Revival architecture.

In a few moments of attending this church, I knew this was my spiritual home.  And I'm on my way to become an Episcopalian.  :)

Canadians [such as myself] use Anglican [an Anglican, and Anglican Church of Canada--ACoC for short] all the time for our equivalent to TEC.  If you usually see me using Anglican in my posts instead of Episcopalian, that's how come.  Welcome to the forum.

We receive you into the household of God.  Confess the faith of Christ crucified, proclaim His resurrection, and share with us in His eternal priesthood.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2011 - 4:50PM #5
slate

Hi,

I felt the same way the first time Iwalked into an Episcopal Church.  I was 19 years old.   I am now 76 years old and I love it more every day.  I was under the weather the past two Sundays, so I was so happy to be back today. 

Welcome!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook