Switch to Forum Live View Can Catholics pray online?
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 8:43PM #1
Daisydragon
Hi all! 

I'm a student at Washington University in St. Louis, and I'm researching virtual religion for an anthropology class. I'm using some written sources for my paper (the Catechism, documents from the Vatican, New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia), but I'd really appreciate input from Catholics who use the internet in everyday life. Please share your thoughts! I won't be publishing names, and would happily take e-mail responses if you don't want to post your opinions here. 

Here are my research questions. Please feel free to answer as few or as many as you want, or to go beyond these questions:

What are the benefits and drawbacks of using the internet for Roman Catholic religious activity? Specifically, what type of prayer/ritual can be performed online, and what type of prayer/ritual needs to happen in real life? Why? Are there any particular websites/forums/memorial pages/etc. that you or those close to you have used? Overall, what role do you see the internet playing (for better or for worse) in the life of the Church? 

I'm really grateful for your feedback. If anyone knows about religion and the internet, it's the beliefnet community!

Best regards and thanks again,

daisydragon  
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2011 - 1:00PM #2
ronaeliah

What are the benefits and drawbacks of using the internet for Roman Catholic religious activity? Specifically, what type of prayer/ritual can be performed online, and what type of prayer/ritual needs to happen in real life? Why? Are there any particular websites/forums/memorial pages/etc. that you or those close to you have used? Overall, what role do you see the internet playing (for better or for worse) in the life of the Church?

Hi, am already retired & mostly at home.  I have a regular prayer time daily & I use the internet & an inspirational book during this prayer time.  The benefit is that i am able to commune with God in the comfort of my home and I believe, He speaks to me through the words I read.

I normally do scripture reading (for the day) i.e. 1st Reading, 2nd Reading (if applicable), Responsorial Psalm & the Gospel.  This can be done also in a church. 

I normally use this websites :

gnm.org/

www.usccb.org/bible/readings/111711.cfm

As to the role of the internet playing in the life of the church?  I would say it's a great help for me to find websites that offers learning/knowledge & spiritual growth to people like me who would want to learn more about Catholic Faith in a deeper meaning.

Thanks & Godbless you.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook