Switch to Forum Live View Mormons don't wear crosses?
3 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 12:59PM #1
Thankful_catholic
I've heard that Mormons don't wear crosses and some have said that when they were in school the Mormons would bully them for wearing one. I've read that some Mormons believe that wearing a cross is like wearing a gun - which doesn't make sense because a cross symbolizes the sacrifice of Christ and His triumph over death. Lastly, I have been told that the root reason Mormons don't wear crosses is anti-Catholicism and that it was once a symbol embraced by the community.

I would appreciate if someone who is knowledgeable could let me know where the truth lies (in the eyes of Mormons, anyway) in all of this. Thanks so much!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 1:25PM #2
Lardorian

My best info is that there are no crosses in the Mormon churches as the cross is seen as celebrating the death of Christ as opposed to a celebration of his life after death. At least that's the answer I got when I asked a Bishop in Salt Lake.

I've not heard anything about the lack of crosses being an "anti-Catholic" thing though it's true that for the longest time the church was fairly open about a common beleife that the Catholic Church was the great abomination of the world. That was probably most famously expressed by Bruce R> McConkie in the 1st (1958) Edition of his book "Mormon Doctrine" but later editions had that deleted.

As for bullying...idk. I didn't grow up LDS but I think all kids bully to a certain extent. There are many tales of non Mormon kids in Utah getting their fair share of harrassment by LDS kids.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 2:04PM #3
Ironhold

The official stance is that our very lives should be a symbol of what we believe, as per chapter 2 in the Epistle of James.

In that sense, crosses and a fair amount of the other "traditional" images are seen as redundant at best and a distraction at worst.

In fact, where I live (Central Texas) things have gone so far overboard that at one point you could get Virgin of Guadalupe images from a vending machine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 3:51PM #4
MMCSFOX

“'I’ve heard that Mormons don't wear crosses and some have said that when they were in school the Mormons would bully them for wearing one.” That is an interesting statement that leads to many questions about the school, the student body, State, City location etc. which I will leave off for now but I do politely wonder if you have a tendency to believe everything people tell you?

Both of my Mormon grandmothers wore crosses. I know a number of convert Mormons that still wear crosses. It is really no big deal to most members. Ironhold in post #3 covers it pretty well. Yet the LDS Church is made up of many people, some converts and some born in the Church who has been taught many things by parents, grandparents and other relations about many things, like the wearing or not wearing of the cross that have no true bearing to our obedience to our Lords two great commandments. If we were obedient to those we would have a more peaceful world to live in without nitpicking and finding fault with our neighbors.

Jesse F.

“Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring, and integrity, they think of you.”

-- Lisa Skews

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 9:18PM #5
moksha8088

Mike Reed has written extensively on the subject of Mormons and the Cross.  He notes that this aversion to wearing a cross started during the early part of the 20th Century and was emphasized after two LDS Apostles met with a very rude reception at a scholarly Christian conference.  Separating ourselves from the cross was like a reaction one might have to fleeing a swarm of stinging bees.

However, the Cross is the universal symbol of Christianity and we hold ourselves to be part of the disciples of Christ.  Many a message board discussion on this very topic has revealed that there are a number of Mormons who wear crosses in symbolic reverance to Jesus, rather than hold to that tired line that is solely represents the instrument of his death.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2011 - 1:06AM #6
withwonderingawe

Oct 27, 2011 -- 12:59PM, Thankful_catholic wrote:

I've heard that Mormons don't wear crosses and some have said that when they were in school the Mormons would bully them for wearing one. I've read that some Mormons believe that wearing a cross is like wearing a gun - which doesn't make sense because a cross symbolizes the sacrifice of Christ and His triumph over death. Lastly, I have been told that the root reason Mormons don't wear crosses is anti-Catholicism and that it was once a symbol embraced by the community.

I would appreciate if someone who is knowledgeable could let me know where the truth lies (in the eyes of Mormons, anyway) in all of this. Thanks so much!

I wear a cross, it’s made to look like the cross at ground zero. I wear it in reference for all who died that day.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:911site_cross...

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2011 - 8:06PM #7
MMCSFOX

I was thinking about this Cross subject in Church today and looked around at the women in the Chapel. Not only did I not see Crosses today but I saw almost no jewelry, except earings, at all.

Then the sacrament hymn brought to my mind how we tend to feel about Jesus Christ.

1. I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.

[Chorus]
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

2. I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.

3. I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.

Written By: Charles H. Gabriel

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 10:58AM #8
Thankful_catholic

Thank you for the (majority) polite replies.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2011 - 12:04AM #9
Earthquakequeen64

Latter-day Saints don't wear crosses because Jesus is alive. If an LDS person bullies someone for wearing one that LDS person is doing something unloving and will have to answer to God for doing that. Unfortunately there are self-righteous LDS people and I too at times have been guilty of that and will have to answer for that.  Please do not judge the faith on the actions of imperfect mortal human beings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2011 - 5:28PM #10
moksha8088

Welcome to the LDS forum of Beliefnet EarthquakeQueen64.

-----------

Nov 11, 2011 -- 12:04AM, Earthquakequeen64 wrote:

Latter-day Saints don't wear crosses because Jesus is alive.

The resurrection of Jesus is pretty much a universally shared Christian belief.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook