Switch to Forum Live View Aggressive Fundamentalism
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 9:25AM #1
Aloe_wish_us
My siblings and I are providing home care for a terminally ill father.  Yesterday a Fundamentalist neighbor, who has admittedly been vey good to our elderly parents, asked my brother if he and his pastor could drop by and visit my father (who is Catholic).  I would have politely told him that my Dad has a pastor who has visited him, and probably would again.  But my brother, out of respect for the man's kindness, said yes.  Big mistake.

The pastor and the neighbor taxed this poor enfeebled old man for twenty minutes with a typical Fundamentalist "soul winning" spiel.  The way they assumed that a regular churchgoer was unfamiliar with Christianity, that someone who thought he was a Christian could yet not be, was profoundly insulting, to him and to any Catholic in its implication that the Catholic Church is not good enough.

The episode underscores the profound disgust I have for aggressive Fundamentalism.  And my brother and sister feel that way all the more.  Sorry, Dad.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 11:56AM #2
steve123

Even though I am not Catholic in the Roman sense of the word, I consider myself catholic in the universal sense of the word.  I am Lutheran but am understanding and sympathetic of what you must have felt.  To a fundamentalist, you are correct, Roman Catholics are (for the most part) considered non-Christian.  They site statues, mass as a re-crucifying Christ again and again, marian theology, (and many other issues), etc......  all as topics that they consider "deal breakers" for being Christian.  You can site people like John Macarthur, Jimmy Swaggart, Fred Phelps as examples.

However, they are dead wrong.  Being Roman Catholic, IMHO is just another extension of Christianity.

Now, on the other side of the coin, there are traditionalist pre-Vatican II Roman Catholics who would say the exact same thing - that unless you are Roman Catholic you are not a Christian in the truest sense of the word.

My prayers go to you and your family and your Dad.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 11:47AM #3
Dutch777

Aloe:

Please accept my prayers and best wishes for you and your family at this difficult time in your lives.

Those fundies meant well but the road to perdition is paved with good intentions.  To label Roman Catholics as non-Christian is downright wrong and indecent.  Some go even farther and proclaim that the RCC is the whore of Babylon, the Pope is the anti-Christ, and the Papal tiara has "666" etched on it.  That is absolutely nutsville.

I hope that distasteful encounter with the fundies didn't leave any lingering scarring; they can be obnoxious and offensive to the extreme.  May Christ be with you.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2011 - 9:19AM #4
Evillynnstar

My sympathies to you and your father and the rest of your family. Fundlementalist are in my opinion the worse. My uncle left the catholic church when he married his first wife and became a born again Baptist. He christened his oldest child at the catholic church, but didn't have him follow through with the rest of the commitments and didn't bother baptising his second child. Years later when the boys were still young, he invited his parents to their church to watch their youngest grandson minister, (he was a little assistent.) While at the church, my cousin introduced his grandparents to his church in the middle of the service then begged them with tears to give them selves to jesus and leave the evil catholic church. 

Needless to say they gave in. Howeve they went back and forth between churches. My uncle saw to it, when each of his parents died, that they didn't have a catholic funeral. I love my uncle very much, but what he did was wrong. I'm not a catholic either, no offense I was never raise with the faith, but I always felt this was wrong. 

I'm sorry for your father. The Fundies mean well, some of them, but they don't realize how offensive and hurtful they can be. The man who talked to your father really felt he was saving him from hell. Which makes it hard to deal with them. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook