Switch to Forum Live View Should I keep my promise?
3 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2011 - 3:55AM #1
BrianPhoenix
I always keep the promises I make to God. Recently, I promised to God that if he provided a home to a small handicapped kitten, I shall do 'x' thing. But the problem is that I don't know if the kitten has been provided a shelter or not? I tried to search for the animal but could not find it. I want to know whether I have to keep my promise, despite not knowing the destiny of that little kitten?

Thanks for your valuable help.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2011 - 6:53AM #2
Mysty101

Hi Brian,

Welcome to this forum.

These promises are personal promises, so it is up to you to decide your obligation.  If what you promised is a beneficial promise, and not a real hardship to you, you could do it, or perhaps modify it a bit, since you do not know if your favor was granted.

Certainly trust in God's mercy and love for all His creatures.  Perhaps pray to St Francis to intercede for this little kitten. I will join you.

God bless you for your concern for this little kitten.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2011 - 8:31AM #3
BrianPhoenix

Thank you very much for your warm welcome misty101.

I made a lifelong promise. Few weeks earlier, I noticed this small kitten which had been abandoned. I gave it food but as I have three ferocious dog at my place, I could not provide it with shelter. The same day, I prayed to God, asking him to provide shelter to the poor animal.

I was depressed and kept asking myself; How can God allow its creations (humans and animals) to suffer so much? I told God that if he provided this animal with a shelter, I shall do 'x' thing (something personal) for the rest of my life.

The next morning, there was no trace of the animal. As days passed by, I asked God to guide me. I made two dreams. One in which the kitten was drowning and another one few days later, in which the kitten was happy surrounded by other cats in a family.

I can fulfill my promise based on the faith that God has helped the poor animal. But it seems that I'm being influenced by the Satan, bringing the idea that the kitten had a painful and miserable death, and me I'm going to keep my promise based on my faith that the latter is safe and happy surrounded by love for the rest of my life.

Please guide me. Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2011 - 2:49PM #4
Mysty101

Hi again,

The bottom line is that you do not know what happened.  That is often the case when we try to bargain with God.  Search your heart and do what feels right.  Your prayers for the kitten are the best you can do for it, and anyone you wish to help.  You can also contribute to an animal shelter.  This would help physically as well as spiritually and may help you to feel better.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook