Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View interpreting scripture
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 8:28AM #21
steve

For various reasons, we aren't pleased with the leadership of the church we currently attend, and how the intentional interim pastor has conducted business since the previous pastor retired.  We were independent, but as of the date of the previous pastor's retirement, we went as a congregation to LCMS {the pastor was previously an LCMS pastor, but because he got divorced in the past and remarried, he was shunned from the LCMS, and was never allowed to return :-(}.  I'm just not pleased with the way the transition is going, hence the visiting of other Lutheran churches in the area.  We are exploring options, will visit St. Paul's Westerville again, and contemplate where the best fit for us will be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 3:20PM #22
Sherylyn

Steve, interim periods can be tough, regardless. When we went through an extended interim (almost two years!), we lost a lot of members, and we had even more who just stopped coming. Because we were so frustrated with the interim, though, the congregation ended up coming together more, and the new pastor has ended up having a longer "honeymoon" period than most pastors get to enjoy. It helps that he has a gift for building consensus, of course.

I'll be praying that you end up in the congregation that is the best fit for you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 7:46AM #23
steve

Sherylyn,

THanks so much for praying!  It is much appreciated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 1:15PM #24
AFskypilot

Steve in the past twenty years in the congregation where I am at we have gone through two interim ministries.  The first one happened because the previous pastor admitted to sleeping with a parishioner.  We had a few leave the congregation then.  It took us to years to recover from that.  I think the interims we had then really prepared us for the next pastor.  They helped us get through the cycle of grief and anger we all were experiencing.  (We had two interims because the first interim accepted a call after one year with us.)

We are in the process of finishing our second interm ministry.  The pastor who we had was with us for fifteen years.  We watched his family grow.  He could probably have stayed in our ministry through to retirement.  However, his and his wife's parents, are elderly and they felt the need to find a call nearer to them.

I can say we also had somewhat of an adjustment with our current interim--his sermons are really long.  And he is very forthright about his opinions.  Still, our church actually grew during this internship--I think the growth was largely because the lay people actually stepped up to the plate and witnessed. 

This interim has also allowed us to look at two big challenges to our ministry.  We are a town gown ministry, but the ELCA is cutting back on campus ministry, so the question is how do we step up to the plate to continue to support campus ministry locally.  The second is youth retention.  The previous pastor really attracted a number of families with children.  Now those children are in high school.  How do we build on that? 

Foretunately, our call committee has had the time to look at these questions, and others.  They ultimately recommended a pastor who is very strong in these ministries.  We issued the call.  He has accepted.  We are now in the process of helping him relocate.

Transitions are always hard.  But they are a time for growth. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook