Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View do catholics have baby dedication ceremony?
3 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2011 - 11:11PM #11
Evillynnstar

Well I wish to thank you all for your advise. I know it must be difficult to advise someone who you may disagree with. So I totally respect and appreciate your responses.

Please know my husband stand by me 100%. I do the research and he does the  diplomacy when dealing with his family.

We have agreed to meet with a priest. My in-laws seem on only want my husband to attend but we agree that we should both go together. We aren't going to bring up what we know about Cannon law. Instead we are just going to explain our case to the priest and let him break the news to his parents.

We both understand that we are the black sheep of the family. My husband was already there before we met. Our wedding was very expressive to say the least and we choose not to pretend. We had our wedding done by someone our belief system and not the justices of the peace as they suggested. They didn't believe our religion was legal. Their dismissive of our views is what bothers me. Black sheep we can deal with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2011 - 11:21PM #12
Evillynnstar

I also wanted to bring up, we plan on doing a naming ceremony. In our belief the child is introduced the family and community of our belief with the announcement of the her name. The parents make the vows for their duties, not on the child's behalf.

I belong to a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship which is more church like, prositent looking but still a church like setting. There its more like a baptism.

We are both fine with a catholic blessing. We are willing to do all three ceremonies the same day and they can attend which ever ceremony they want. Only the baby, parents and god family (she will have a god grandfather and a god sister, as well god parents) have to attend all three.

The only reason it hasn't been done yet is because money is very tight. We hope to do this while the weather is still warm so we can have cake and refreshments at a park afterwards as a mini reception.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 8:07AM #13
Mysty101

Hi again,

Just want to know how everything is going.  Please keep us informed. I hope your in-laws come to realize this is not their decision.

Blessings on you and your family.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 10:43PM #14
Evillynnstar

Aug 25, 2011 -- 8:07AM, Mysty101 wrote:

Hi again,

Just want to know how everything is going.  Please keep us informed. I hope your in-laws come to realize this is not their decision.

SuZ

Well my husband agreed to see a priest to talk about the issue. I don't think they are aware that I intend on coming as well. But either way, they haven't done anything about it. So until something does come up, I will defently keep you posted! I kinda wish they would just go ahead and get this meeting set up. That way it can get done and over with. I hate things being up in the air. But the ball is in their court.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 5:01PM #15
Catholicboy518

The only Baby dedication Cerimonie is the Baptism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 3:23PM #16
Evillynnstar

Yes thank you. That was explained to me. We have agreed to talk to a priest and let the priest explain to my inlaws that the church can't baptize our child because niether my husband or I are catholics. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 12:33AM #17
Evillynnstar

Aug 25, 2011 -- 8:07AM, Mysty101 wrote:

Hi again,

SuZ

Well I have my update.

We are meeting the minster of our Unitarian Universalist church tomorrow. She is coming over our house to discuss our daughters naming and deication ceremony. From what I've been told my in laws want no part in this. They do not wish to be invited, they don't approve. I also believe they won't be bothering with a priest either. My hope this remains a dead subject. 

We are however making plans towards our religious ceremonies. Nothing fancy but how we want it. I wanted to invite my husbands family memebers of his generation over 18 to come. To give them a choice if they want to come or not. But my husband felt that wasn't a good idea and only cause drama in the family. So we will simply do this without them. Which hurts I wanted them to be there. I really did. But I will respect their wishes. Thank you for all your help. I'm sorry this didn't work out. I was really fine with the blessing idea. But there is nothing I can do.  

Thank you all so much for your help. I"m sorry it didn't turn out better. I wanted very badly to tell you good news. Alsa it just wasn't meant to be. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2011 - 6:37AM #18
Mysty101

Thanks for the update.

It is sad that your in-laws reject your beliefs, but they seem to be accepting your decision.  This is certainly better than active opposition.  How is their response in other areas?  Differences in Religion can be overcome as long as there is mutual love & respect. 

I will join you in prayer for love & peace in your family.

Love & Prayers,

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2011 - 8:33AM #19
Evillynnstar

Oct 4, 2011 -- 6:37AM, Mysty101 wrote:

Thanks for the update.

It is sad that your in-laws reject your beliefs, but they seem to be accepting your decision.  This is certainly better than active opposition.  How is their response in other areas?  Differences in Religion can be overcome as long as there is mutual love & respect. 

I will join you in prayer for love & peace in your family.

Love & Prayers,

SuZ

thank you! There is some hope, my husband is trying to get his dad to soften his mother to come to the service. Right now I"m planning things as if they aren't coming. We've had a rocky relationship until my husband sister had some issues and we came to the rescue.  But the slightest thing can get them upset. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook