Switch to Forum Live View Lutherans and the Nature of Man
3 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2011 - 6:19AM #1
Arthuro

As a Nordic Lutheran with traditional beliefs in most areas I have often experienced doubt as to our foundational beliefs regarding  the Nature of Man ( Natural Law in Catholic parlance). My views are closer to Catholic/Orthodox beliefs regarding our human potential for participation in salvation and good works.

Some fellow Christians have suggested that I might feel more at home among Orthodox or Roman Catholics. My other beliefs are however very much in line with our common beliefs as regards Churches of  the Poorvo Communion:

" The Porvoo Communion is a Communion of churches, mostly in Northern Europe, that have signed an agreement to “share a common life in mission and service” "

As a Norwegian it would be great to hear viewpoints from American and fellow European Lutherans on my beliefs and our Lutheran heritage.

Have a nice Sunday

Arthur

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2011 - 6:46PM #2
AFskypilot

Hi Arthur,  I guess I would like to hear from you what is your understanding of the nature of humans. 

While Lutherans have said there is absolutely nothing that humans can do to earn, gain, or win salvation, it depends absolutely on God's grace, humans are still capable of doing good works that benefit others.  Lutherans are encouraged to do even more good works as thanksgiving for what God has done for us.

Have you ever read Martin Luther's Treatise on Good Works?  Here is a link to it: 

www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/witten...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 1:35AM #3
Arthuro

Thanks for the exellent suggestions as to further reading AFskypilot, I have had a brief look at the treatise and will spend some more time studying it before I respond. In the meentime others and not only Lutherans woud like to contribute are more than welcome

Arthur

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2011 - 2:00PM #4
teilhard

Gotta go to: "The Bondage of the Will" also ...

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook