Switch to Forum Live View Christ and Communion
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 7:42PM #1
Kelliotes
+ I'm looking for information about a certain question, and so far I'm having difficulty finding it.

Some Christians hold that the bread and wine of the Communion Service are really and truly the Body and Blood of Christ our God. Some, though, hold otherwise; saying that they're just bread and wine, crackers and grape juice--or whatever the particular sect may use: only this and nothing more.

There is of course the aspect of remembrance, of the communion as a commemoration of Christ's saving suffering and of His holy Resurrection. But I'm asking specifically about the Body and Blood.

What do Methodists hold concerning this? Is the bread and wine truly the Body and Blood of Christ? Or is it nothing more than bread and wine.

What I'm looking for is the Scriptural justification for whatever view you may take. I'm usually given a take-my-word-for-it answer, but I'm looking for a Scriptural answer.

I will be grateful for anyone who is willing to state their views and who can suggest a Scriptural basis for those views.

May God grant wisdom.

monk Herman
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 7:05PM #2
Annitenth
  • I'm a former Methodist (now UCC), and I'd say one scriptural answer to your question is the following:
  • 1 Corinthians 11:24 (Whole Chapter)
    And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
  • 1 Corinthians 11:25 (Whole Chapter)
    After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
  • Something done in remembrance clearly indicates, to my mind, that it is actual bread and actual wine.  I'm not sure that Methodists would agree with me that "this do ye, as oft as ye drink it" means "do this every day, just as you drink every day--remember me every day, do not forget me." 
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook