Page 17 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Switch to Forum Live View New York Passes the Marriage Equality Act!
3 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2012 - 1:46PM #161
GRobit625

Sorry Kirk, when you stand for the truth, you're going to be hated for it.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/06/kirk-c...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 8:00PM #162
Mostyn32

Mar 3, 2012 -- 7:52PM, Dutch777 wrote:

About a year ago I watched a t.v. discussion between Kirk Cameron and his associate and otoh a group of young non-believers.  Cameron displayed embarassing ignorance about evolution (which he's against), science in general, as well as biblical studies and the various disciplines undergirding biblical studies.

He should stick to acting, or maybe open a pizzaria and leave the subject to those who have some grasp of the material they're discussing.  As far as I'm concerned, he's a nebbish.

I betcha Kirk would do better as a pizzeria owner than he does as an actor, which he ain't - at least, not a good one!

Hasn't the California District Court declared Prop 8 unconstitutional?

GRobit, not all Americans subscribe to your view that God ordained marriage as being confined to only being between a man and a woman. And if that belief is based on the story of Adam and Eve, one could then make a religious case for polygamy - q.v. Solomon and his 300 wives, David's clutch of better-halves, the Jacob-Leah-Rachel menage a trois, and many other examples in the OT. Adultery is also Biblically condonable, based on the story of Abraham, Sarah and Hagar, and others.

The right to marry the person one loves, regardless of gender, is indeed a civil rights issue, just as the right to marry a person of another skin colour - qv Loving vs Virginia (I think it was Virginia) - was a civil rights issue.

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 8:11PM #163
GRobit625

Mar 11, 2012 -- 8:00PM, Mostyn32 wrote:

Mar 3, 2012 -- 7:52PM, Dutch777 wrote:

About a year ago I watched a t.v. discussion between Kirk Cameron and his associate and otoh a group of young non-believers.  Cameron displayed embarassing ignorance about evolution (which he's against), science in general, as well as biblical studies and the various disciplines undergirding biblical studies.

He should stick to acting, or maybe open a pizzaria and leave the subject to those who have some grasp of the material they're discussing.  As far as I'm concerned, he's a nebbish.

I betcha Kirk would do better as a pizzeria owner than he does as an actor, which he ain't - at least, not a good one!

Hasn't the California District Court declared Prop 8 unconstitutional?

GRobit, not all Americans subscribe to your view that God ordained marriage as being confined to only being between a man and a woman. And if that belief is based on the story of Adam and Eve, one could then make a religious case for polygamy - q.v. Solomon and his 300 wives, David's clutch of better-halves, the Jacob-Leah-Rachel menage a trois, and many other examples in the OT. Adultery is also Biblically condonable, based on the story of Abraham, Sarah and Hagar, and others.

The right to marry the person one loves, regardless of gender, is indeed a civil rights issue, just as the right to marry a person of another skin colour - qv Loving vs Virginia (I think it was Virginia) - was a civil rights issue.

I'm aware that not every American sees it that way, and that fact won't make me change my point of view. I really don't care how anyone else feels about it either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 17 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook