Page 16 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next
Switch to Forum Live View New York Passes the Marriage Equality Act!
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2012 - 7:31PM #151
GRobit625

Mar 1, 2012 -- 6:44PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Gov. Martin O'Malley of Maryland has just signed his state's marriage equality bill into law.  Maryland now is the 8th. state to formally & legally recognize same-sex marriage.

I wonder if his local bishop will deny him the sacraments.  Any bets on the table ?

Probably not. It's not like he's taking part in any SS acts. As long as he professes the doctrine of the RCC in his spiritual life (and obeys it) then I don't see it happening. It'll go to a vote, and the people will say they don't want it. And as far as I know, DOMA is still law so any state passing that mess doesn't make a difference.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 6:09PM #152
Nino0814

If NJ does put Same-Sex Marriage to a vote, it would likely pass according to the latest opinion poll: www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-center...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 7:30PM #153
GRobit625

Mar 2, 2012 -- 6:09PM, Nino0814 wrote:

If NJ does put Same-Sex Marriage to a vote, it would likely pass according to the latest opinion poll: www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-center...

People thought the same about California. Even I thought it would pass here. Even in this lefty laa-laa land it failed. I have no doubt it would fail in NJ too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 9:30AM #154
Dutch777

j[/quote]
People thought the same about California. Even I thought it would pass here. Even in this lefty laa-laa land it failed. I have no doubt it would fail in NJ too.[/quote]

California indeed has some very leftiest persons but far-right  sections of the state also exist.  The opposition to SSM was spearheaded by a core constituency of Evangelicals, the RCC and the LDS.  They were well organized and well funded.  According to news reports, the Mormons dumped piles of loot into the effort.

The Prop-8 issue is now before the courts.  The narrow issue under litigation is whether civil rights are a natural right of American citizens or a law which can be voted on or off the books.  We'll just have to see how this shakes out.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 5:25PM #155
Nino0814
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 7:52PM #156
Dutch777

About a year ago I watched a t.v. discussion between Kirk Cameron and his associate and otoh a group of young non-believers.  Cameron displayed embarassing ignorance about evolution (which he's against), science in general, as well as biblical studies and the various disciplines undergirding biblical studies.

He should stick to acting, or maybe open a pizzaria and leave the subject to those who have some grasp of the material they're discussing.  As far as I'm concerned, he's a nebbish.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 9:33PM #157
Nino0814

At least the fundies are consistent.  They believe that the Bible is literally the words of God, and therefore it is literally and historically accurate in all details.  The non-fundamentalist traditionalists are inconsistent.  They will accept the evidence of evolution because they know that rejecting evolution would be put them in an intellectual Siberia; yet they cling to the dogmas that were based on the creation myth (human sin is the cause of sickness, earthquakes, suffering and death. And the world is now under the spiritual dominion of "the god of this world" - Satan).  

In the same inconsistent way, they also reject the science of human sexuality.   Either they deny that there is a sexual orientation, or they believe that the orientation is a result of human depravity.   Darwinan evolution informs us that there would be variation in all things (including sexual orientation).  Without variation, humans would not have evolved from a single celled animal.  

Traditionalists claim to follow the authority of scripture, but by rejecting the information founded on objective scientific methodologies they are arbitrary in their application of the Bible and science as authorities, and therefore completely inconsistent. They are really rejecting the authority of Truth in favor of their own religious worldview.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 12:51AM #158
GRobit625

Mar 3, 2012 -- 5:25PM, Nino0814 wrote:

blog.chron.com/believeitornot/2012/03/ki...

Now a word from our sponsor

What's the story here? He's only articulating what the majority of Christians believe about homosexuality. What makes him so special, because he's "famous"? I'm more than certain if he was on the opposite side, people like you would be singing his praises. Pseudo-Christians like you make me sick.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 8:52AM #159
Dutch777

Nino,

Your post # 162 is to the point and insightful.  I agree completely.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 2:12PM #160
GRobit625

There is no scriptural passage saying that one must believe in a literal 6 day creation knowing that the Father's concept of time is nothing like our own. One 24 hour day to us is an eternity to Him.  Believing in evolution does not constitute any inconsistency at all. It's not saying it's the answer to "why" but the "how" He wanted His works to come to be. As far as the science of homosexuality, scripture talks about the morality of homosexual sex acts. Science doesn't determine the morality of actions. Only one of those threaten personal salvation...the latter.

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." -1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Time for the self deception to end and ask for His free gift of reconciliation and healing.

Moderated by RJMcElwain on Mar 05, 2012 - 02:49PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 16 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook