Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Desperately Need To Repent - Can't Feel Godly Sorrow
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2011 - 11:48AM #1
arabianhorselover
Hello.  I am here due to a problem I have had for about as long as I can remember.  i am now 50 years old.  The problem (sin) is overeating.  I have known this was sin for many years, but have never been willing to truly change the behavior.  The fact is, I love to overeat.  I would not mind continuing this addiction forever if it weren't for all the nasty consequences.  I worry about those constantly, but am STILL not willing to give up the extra food. 

This is a problem that separates me from God.  I have not felt His presence in my life ever, even though I was baptised as a baby, was confirmed, and have attended church for basically my whole life.  I have been told that this is just a "weakness", and not to worry about it so much.  This is something that started out innocently enough.  I was a child trying to cope with a difficult life.  However, the food became an idol in my life.  I was angry with God, and didn't trust Him, so I have always turned to food for comfort and to try to fill the emptness that I know only God can fill.  My life has been filled with so mush anxiety, depression, fear, and guilt.  I don't want to live this way anymore.  I don't know how much more I can take.  And yet I am unwilling to truly surrender.

The thing is that I really don't feel any Godly Sorrow over this.  And until I do, I know I won't change.   I have always felt guilty, worried about my health, and  worried  that I will end up in Hell, but I don't feel bad about offending God.  I think I still have anger toward God, and it is hard to feel bad about what I am doing as long as I feel that.
God Has Always Been With Me - Even Though I Haven't Realized It.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2011 - 6:54PM #2
tawonda

I'm not sure why you're beating yourself up over overeating. Why are you so convinced that God is going to "smite" you because you don't feel guilty enough about overeating? Seriously? Who is telling you this? Not a Lutheran, I hope -- because it's sucky, graceless theology.

We're all works in progress. We all have habitual issues that can trip us up. That's why we have to rely on God's grace and not on our ability to "get it right." That's a bedrock concept of Lutheran theology. "You're saved by grace through faith, and then you have to..." or "...You're saved by grace through faith if..." is what they tell you down at the Southern Baptist or Pentecostal church.

Luther once commented that people have a tendency to invent new commandments when they can't even keep the original ten. He was right. So please stop torturing yourself over this issue; stop trying to make yourself feel "sorry enough" about your eating habits.

And here's some practical advice from another overeater, per my doctor (it works): First, keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat, the quantity, and when, every single day. You'll not only notice certain patterns in your overeating....but knowing you have to commit your eating habits to paper tends to make you more mindful of your eating. Second: Move more. Take a 20-minute walk every day, or do WiiFit for a half-hour, or do other physical stuff that you enjoy and can stick to: gardening; biking; swimming; whatever. Again, keep track of that. (If you have a Wii, it will keep track of your workouts for you.)

If you don't believe me, ask your pastor. I'm sure s/he will tell you the same thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 16, 2011 - 10:30PM #3
AFskypilot

Check out Overeaters Anonymous or FoodAddicts.org

But the point is, God loves you in spite of who you are because you are. 

I have found one of the things about addictions is many times guilt drives the addiction. 

No need to beat yourself up over your addiction.  There is help.  AA has a saying.  Let go, Let God. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2011 - 8:27AM #4
arabianhorselover

I have been to OA.  I cannot see this as a disease.  It is sin.  The first commandment is tha we not have other Gods before Him.  Well, food has been an idol in my life for a very long time.  Overeating is also harmful to the body - His Temple.  I am also affecting my family with my behavior.  And our finances.

I appreciate you both trying to help me not feel guilty, but the truth is that this is an issue that has separated me from God for a very long time.  I have looked at it as a "weakness" for way too long.  The Church tends to overlook the sin of gluttoney.  The Bible warns about it over and over again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2011 - 10:18AM #5
AFskypilot

If anything is separating you from God it is not your overeating, but your guilt from overeating.  God is still there with you, forgiving you.  This is gauranteed by virtue of your baptism.

The things you have said about overeating has also been said about alcoholism.  It is a sin.  It is a weakness.  Addiction does affect the family, just like your overeating.

Fact is overeating is an addiction.  Neurologists have found varios foods affect the brain just like drugs, causing changes in the brain.  For instance, chocolate and cheese act very much like cocaine on the brain.  They cause a flood of dopamine on the receptor.  If the dopamine is not there, the brain will cause you to crave more chocolate or cheese resulting in overeating.

Work through the steps of OA.  You can find peace if you stick at it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2011 - 10:57AM #6
arabianhorselover

I believe a basic premise of Christianity is that sin separates us from God. 

My problem with OA is that it is underestimates God's ability to free someone from a problem.  In OA it is assumed that a person's overeating will be a lifelong problem.  I believe God can set a person free from an addiction permanently.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2011 - 11:13AM #7
teilhard

Yes ...

Dear Paul wrote it SO well:

" ... We entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God ... " (2 Corinthians 5:20) ...

If our particular sins come between us and God, it is because WE are maintaining that Barrier -- NOT "God" ...

May 17, 2011 -- 10:18AM, AFskypilot wrote:

If anything is separating you from God it is not your overeating, but your guilt from overeating.  God is still there with you, forgiving you.  This is guaranteed by virtue of your baptism.

The things you have said about overeating has also been said about alcoholism.  It is a sin.  It is a weakness.  Addiction does affect the family, just like your overeating.

Fact is overeating is an addiction.  Neurologists have found varios foods affect the brain just like drugs, causing changes in the brain.  For instance, chocolate and cheese act very much like cocaine on the brain.  They cause a flood of dopamine on the receptor.  If the dopamine is not there, the brain will cause you to crave more chocolate or cheese resulting in overeating.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2011 - 11:33AM #8
arabianhorselover

Are you agreeing with him, or with me?

May 17, 2011 -- 11:13AM, teilhard wrote:

Yes ...

" ... We entreat you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God ... " (2 Corinthians 5:20) ...

If our particular sins come between us and God, it is because WE are maintaining that Barrier -- NOT "God" ...

If anything is separating you from God it is not your overeating, but your guilt from overeating.  God is still there with you, forgiving you.  This is guaranteed by virtue of your baptism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2011 - 11:38AM #9
teilhard

I'm agreeing that IF our sins stand between us and "God," it is because WE keep that Barrier in Place ...

May 17, 2011 -- 11:33AM, arabianhorselover wrote:

Are you agreeing with him, or with me?

May 17, 2011 -- 11:13AM, teilhard wrote:

Yes ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 17, 2011 - 11:52AM #10
arabianhorselover

That's what I thought..  And I agree.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook