Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2011 - 11:09AM #1
Concordia
Has anyone ever used "Seize the Day" by Bonhoeffer?  Looking to pick it up and just wanted to see what others thought of it.

Thanks,

Steve
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2011 - 4:44PM #2
tawonda

No, I haven't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2011 - 7:41PM #3
AFSkypilot49

Are you talking about "Seize the Day with Dietrick Bonhoeffer"?  This is a devotional book that mediates on a particular saying of Bonhoeffer combined with a Bible reading.  It is written by Dr Charles Ringma who is a Dutch-born Australian citizen  trained at the Reformed Theological College in Geelong and The  University of Queensland  Brisbane  Australia.

I see readers on Amazon give it a 4 1/2 star review, but the criticism I see of it is that it is more Charles Ringma than Bonheffer. 

Just wanted to point it out it is not a Bonhoeffer book per se.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 8:01AM #4
Concordia

Yes, that was the book I was referring to.  I'm looking for a daily devotional and it seemed right to get one with a Lutheran slant, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 8:33PM #5
AFSkypilot49

Seems like it will have a more Reformed slant to it, but there is nothing that says you can't learn anything from the Reformed people--just be careful with the double predestination thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 05, 2011 - 7:42AM #6
Concordia

Got it.  Thanks for that.  I guess it would have a reformed slant, if the autor is Reformed :-).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 11:17AM #7
teilhard

"Carpe Cyprinus carpio diem," which being translated is, "Seize the Carp of the Day ... "

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2011 - 10:43AM #8
Concordia

:-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2011 - 2:38PM #9
Sherylyn

Concordia, try 40-Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer. It's published by Augsburg Fortress, a Lutheran publisher. I've not used this one yet (it's in the queue), but I've used other 40 Day Journey devotionals, and have found them to very much have a Lutheran slant, and to challenge me to dig a little deeper both into Scripture and into where I am spiritually.

Here's the link at Amazon:

www.amazon.com/40-Day-Journey-Dietrich-B...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 09, 2011 - 10:35PM #10
AFskypilot

May 9, 2011 -- 2:38PM, Sherylyn wrote:

Concordia, try 40-Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer. It's published by Augsburg Fortress, a Lutheran publisher. I've not used this one yet (it's in the queue), but I've used other 40 Day Journey devotionals, and have found them to very much have a Lutheran slant, and to challenge me to dig a little deeper both into Scripture and into where I am spiritually.

Here's the link at Amazon:

www.amazon.com/40-Day-Journey-Dietrich-B...

Sounds like a goood Lenten Devotion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook