Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Lutheran 'Orthodoxy'"
7 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2011 - 3:07PM #1
teilhard
Posts: 53,304

Sometimes the Term, "Lutheran 'Orthodoxy'" is tossed-off-and-around IMPROPERLY, as if the Term means, True and Correct Teaching and Doctrine as per The Scriptures and Confessions ...

ummmm ... No ... Not exactly ...

"Lutheran Orthodoxy" was a Movement (1580-1730 C.E.) now essentially gone away ...


"Google" it ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2011 - 3:19PM #2
WannabeTheo
Posts: 401

Apr 13, 2011 -- 3:07PM, teilhard wrote:


Sometimes the Term, "Lutheran 'Orthodoxy'" is tossed-off-and-around IMPROPERLY, as if the Term means, True and Correct Teaching and Doctrine as per The Scriptures and Confessions ...

ummmm ... No ... Not exactly ...

"Lutheran Orthodoxy" was a Movement (1580-1730 C.E.) now essentially gone away ...


"Google" it ...





Perhaps the difference between a big 'O' and a little 'o', but I don't think anyone used the big 'O' around here.


Lutheran Orthodoxy may refer to a specific historical movement, but Lutheran orthodoxy refers to correct Lutheran belief, 'orthodoxy' being the Greek for 'correct belief'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2011 - 3:27PM #3
teilhard
Posts: 53,304

It's a Particular "Flavour," though ... And as bandied about, it carries "Baggage" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 5:45PM #4
G_Erdner
Posts: 172

Apr 13, 2011 -- 3:27PM, teilhard wrote:


It's a Particular "Flavour," though ... And as bandied about, it carries "Baggage" ...





I fear the baggage is in the ear of the listener. Lutheran orthodoxy is what one finds in most Lutheran denominations. The opposite, Lutheran heterodoxy, is what one finds in the ELCA.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 6:25PM #5
Dfg
Posts: 37

**Heavy sigh**


G Erdner, the tendency to make every thread a vehicle for ELCA bashing is getting really tiresome. May I suggest, as a spiritual discipline, posting at least 7 times without even mentioning the ELCA before you post any more complaints. Or better yet, every time you post something negative about any group or denomination you should also say 3 positive thing about them too. We may find that you have more to contirbute than mere vitriol.


Just in case you're wondering, I am not a member of the ELCA, I just enjoy reading the discussions posted here by people wiser than I.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 7:48PM #6
teilhard
Posts: 53,304

Interestingly, in Fact, in The "Lutheran" Tradition, there is actually very LITTLE that is "nailed down" as "orthodoxy" ...


We pay CLOSE Attention to The Scriptures, The Creeds, and our Received Tradition (which includes "The Confessions") ... But WITHIN those Affirmations, there IS a great Deal of SPACE for Discussion and Disagreement ...


Apr 19, 2011 -- 5:45PM, G_Erdner wrote:


Apr 13, 2011 -- 3:27PM, teilhard wrote:


It's a Particular "Flavour," though ... And as bandied about, it carries "Baggage" ...





I fear the baggage is in the ear of the listener. Lutheran orthodoxy is what one finds in most Lutheran denominations. The opposite, Lutheran heterodoxy, is what one finds in the ELCA.





Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 4:01PM #7
G_Erdner
Posts: 172

Apr 19, 2011 -- 6:25PM, Dfg wrote:


**Heavy sigh**


G Erdner, the tendency to make every thread a vehicle for ELCA bashing is getting really tiresome. May I suggest, as a spiritual discipline, posting at least 7 times without even mentioning the ELCA before you post any more complaints. Or better yet, every time you post something negative about any group or denomination you should also say 3 positive thing about them too. We may find that you have more to contirbute than mere vitriol.


Just in case you're wondering, I am not a member of the ELCA, I just enjoy reading the discussions posted here by people wiser than I.




Sorry, I post what I post in response to other posts. I do not dispute that you might not like hearing about how heterodox the ELCA is. But the truth is the truth. I'll not lie and say something other than the truth just because the truth bothers you.


If the ELCA repents and recants its heterodox teachings, then I'll stop mentioning them.


But if you want three positive things about the ELCA, here are three.



1. They aren't spreading their false teachings beyond their own congregations by doing much in the way of evangelism.


2. There are still a few mainstream liberal denominations that they haven't made deals with to further dilute orthodox Lutheran teachings regarding Holy Communion.


3. They haven't entered into a full communion agreements with the Mormons. Yet.



Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 5:05PM #8
Dfg
Posts: 37

I find it wonderfully ironic that so many people I've met who would claim the church is straying from "orthodoxy" are actully pretty pietistic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 5:59PM #9
G_Erdner
Posts: 172

I find it interesting that so many who would claim others are pietistic rather than orthodox presume that those are two opposing conditions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 7:09PM #10
WannabeTheo
Posts: 401

Perhaps it would be useful to define our terms.  A quick Google search of "Lutheran pietism" turned up, among many other hits of course, the following excerpt from the novel The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz:


reformedreader.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/...


What do people think?  Is this a fair assessment of Lutheran pietism and orthodoxy? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook