Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Best New Theology Reading - Recommendations?
7 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2011 - 11:19AM #11
AFskypilot

Stages of faith is a great book, especially if you are in Christian Education.  Another book I enjoyed are Generation to Generation--this book applies family systems theory  to congregational dynamics.  Both are somewhat dated, but the insights still apply.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2011 - 6:21AM #12
allan444

I would not consider this a Theological book per se  but a  wonderful book on the Beatitudes by  Dr. Heidi Baker  "Compelled by Love".  This a book by someone who actually  "walks the walk" and gives us real life examples  of what that means.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 7:11PM #13
WannabeTheo

Has anyone read The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz?  Apparently, it explores Lutheran pietism and orthodoxy.  It may go on my reading list.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 10:34PM #14
TomeReader

Apr 20, 2011 -- 7:11PM, WannabeTheo wrote:

Has anyone read The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz?  Apparently, it explores Lutheran pietism and orthodoxy.  It may go on my reading list.

Very good book. It's a novel that goes from 18th cent. (I think) rural Sweden through the 19th and then into the 1930s in the same parish.

Lynn

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2011 - 11:48AM #15
teilhard

I agree ... VERY good Book ...

Apr 20, 2011 -- 7:11PM, WannabeTheo wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 2:41AM #16
AFskypilot

Just finished Mark Alan Powell's little book, "Giving to God."  It is a book on stewardship.  Very readable and thought provoking.  I think he is one of the most prolific Lutheran writers out there at this time.  Eveything I have read from him has been insghtful. 

Another Lutheran Writer I have enjoyed is Barbara Rossing.  She has written a number of books on the Apocolypse.  My favorite was The Rapture Exposed: a Message of Hope in Revelations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook