Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
3 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2011 - 12:21AM #21
MMCSFOX

I am posting this under Ethics partly becouse I don't know where else to post it, because I know many of the people involved and their standards are very high simply because of the work they do with AT-RISK  kids.

The Optimist Youth Home & Family services High School, last week, finished a three day re-evaluation for State accreditation and passed with NO CHANGES REQUIRED.

www.oyhfs.org

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2011 - 12:49AM #22
moksha8088

Let me float an idea that sometimes has been unpopular in LDS discussions:  We are all Brothers and Sisters and as such we are each other's keeper.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2011 - 3:48AM #23
MMCSFOX

"We are all Brothers and Sisters and as such we are each other's keeper."

Good reminder Moksha. The Optimist school for these at-risk kids always runs at a loss of about 20% of actual cost  as the kids need a lot of extra involvement by staff. The difference is made up by donations from many generous people. Also each graduate from the Optimist High School are given a new laptop computer by another Optimist Club. There are really more good people  out there than one may think.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2011 - 9:22PM #24
MMCSFOX

May 16, 2011,  Bin Laden’s Burial and Other Religious Frauds.

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach,  Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is one of the world's foremost spiritual authorities and relationship experts.

Below is edited out of the Rabbi’s whole discussion. For the whole discussion see” Bin Laden’s Burial and Other Religious Frauds”  Jesse

I thought that this part of his discussion relates directly on our ethics.

“As a Jew I do not believe that Joseph Smith discovered golden plates written in Reformed Egyptian in 1823 which he translated with seer stones. But having had extensive exposure to the strong families and charitable communities that the Mormon Church has built worldwide, I do believe that in Western New York where he claimed to have found the plates Smith encountered universal religious truths that were incorporated into Mormonism and which account for the high ethical standards of his followers. Conversely, when a religious figure devotes his life not to compassionate acts but to a blood-filled apocalypse it is either him or his religion which is fraudulent.”

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 3:16AM #25
MMCSFOX

Moksha posted on another subject: “If nothing else, a Mormon President would represent some degree of religious diversity among the resulting backroom politicians. The good news for extreme conservatives is that this wouldn't upset their apple cart, although they might have to rearrange their seating chart at the prayer breakfasts.”

I have placed a response here on the Ethics subject as more appropriate:

As I have been to many City prayer breakfasts, and my local Optimist Club continues to be a co sponsor of one in my City, I have never seen a seating chart problem.  This got me to thinking, which my wife continues to tell me to stop, and while I was just sitting here  thinking I was trying to define “extreme conservative” as a problem for a while and all I have been able to come up with is that they are those who believe in honesty, integrity, true to their word, high ethical standards, one who is unwilling to place power and money above a conscience and finely one who is willing to have others publicly make fun of their standards and ethics because those others seem to think that making fun of others is the neat thing to do and will get them laughs and praise. Are there bad conservatives, bad liberals and even bad Mormons? Of course there are, and I know a few of them, but for the most part I know many, many people of conservative and liberal bent with higher ethical standards than those who stand back and make fun of them.

Is it really our place as Mormons who have seen and continue to see discrimination of our faith to make fun of our earthly brothers and sisters simply because their background has given them different life experiences? Is it right that we should stand as judges without authority of people we do not know? I think we should be above that.

Jesse F.

“Human fallibility being what it is, victory and truth do not always go together. Therefore, if you have to always win, you can't always be true.”

- Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2011 - 4:58PM #26
MMCSFOX

In the 1940’s the ironclad rule that there must never be an off-color situation, an indecent word or suggestion in the "“Saturday Evening Post" Was broken when Katharine Brushe’s “Red-Headed Woman” began its serial run. The end of the first installment found the secretary-heroine having a drink with her boss at his home, the boss’s wife away and night drawing on. To the profound shock of numerous readers, the second installment began with the two having breakfast. Editor George Horace Lorimer prepared a form letter to answer the indignant mail. “The post” he said “cannot be responsible for what the characters in it’s serials do between installments.”

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook