Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
7 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2011 - 11:34AM #31
G_Erdner

Mar 18, 2011 -- 11:03AM, teilhard wrote:

Nope ... it's called "Faith Active in Love" ...

Calling something by a false name doesn't change what it is.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2011 - 2:12PM #32
teilhard

"Grace" is NOT always "Popular" ...

Mar 18, 2011 -- 9:56AM, teilhard wrote:

It's about The GRACE of "God" ...

Mar 17, 2011 -- 8:12PM, G_Erdner wrote:

Mar 17, 2011 -- 8:03PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

Mar 17, 2011 -- 7:52PM, G_Erdner wrote:

Mar 17, 2011 -- 7:22PM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

But i want to since i have a 3 year old Girl and i want to expose her to all Faiths and beliefs

Plus my wife is Jewish and i'm a very liberal open-minded Christian and i think The UU'S would be a good place for  all  of us. 

Love & 

Blessings

( i never heard about the promise not to lie thing)

That's sure a lot easier than accepting the responsibility of teaching her the truth.

Statements like yours is why i like the UU'S..... You just proved my point.

That's why most people like a wishy-washy, make up your own beliefs type religion. Shopping for a church isn't like picking your favorite fast-food restaurant. It's not a situation where it doesn't much matter what you believe, so long as you're a "nice" person.

It's about whether or not you go to heaven or hell.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2011 - 10:27PM #33
Paravani

Wow Thank you for that reponse!

You're very welcome.  Glad I could help.

To be Honest with you i went to a UU Church for the very first time last year and they were like you said the most welcoming, freindly, nicest group i have EVER encontered in any Church  i haven't went back since mainly because i'm not really a every week Church goer 

But i want to since i have a 3 year old Girl and i want to expose her to all Faiths and beliefs

Plus my wife is Jewish and i'm a very liberal open-minded Christian and i think The UU'S would be a good place for  all  of us. 

I remember that there were several "mixed-religion" families there.  There were also a lot of ex-fill-in-the-blanks, people who'd become very disillusioned with (or had been rejected by) their former churches but still loved God and needed to worship.  And of course there were the Wiccans, the Pagans, and the atheists of all types who really needed the fellowship that wasn't available in their "religion of choice".

Love & 

Blessings

( i never heard about the promise not to lie thing)

I don't remember the exact words, but it was more a promise to do your best to be truthful with others.  And normally, like I said, I'm compulsively honest, so it shouldn't have been a problem for me.

But ironically, at a church retreat I told my one truly successful white lie in my life, the first lie I'd ever told just to make everything ok again...  and it worked so stunningly well, and was such a small, perfect, completely "right" thing to do that there was no way I could promise never to do something similar if circumstances warranted it.  (Which they haven't, not once in all the years since.  But they could have... )

Anyway, I don't think they have the same statement anymore.  That was about two decades ago.  For all I know, they may not have any statement at all!

Love,

-- Claudia

P.S.  Beliefnet seems to attract a lot of people who in real life have a hard time keeping an audience.   Don't take their harrassment personally, and please don't make the mistake of thinking that their attitudes reflect the attitudes of the church as a whole.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2011 - 10:33PM #34
WannabeTheo

Mar 18, 2011 -- 10:49AM, G_Erdner wrote:

Mar 18, 2011 -- 9:41AM, WannabeTheo wrote:

I'm challenged every week by my ELCA church: I'm challenged to look beyond myself and my comfort to the sufferings of others and to share my blessings and their sufferings.  It's much more challenging than hearing a sermon about how sinful other people are.

I'm well aware that the ELCA has shifted to a strong "works righteousness" theology. I guess Lutheran theology of Grace wasn't appealing enough, so they've switched to the theology of works.

No, I know I have no ability to save myself.  I am totally reliant on God and only by His grace am I justified by the merits of Jesus Christ.  That's the Gospel I hear proclaimed in my ELCA church and I've heard no other.

In grateful response to the love God has shown me in Christ, I share that love with others.  I often pray that I may see others as Christ sees them, and treat them accordingly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 9:21AM #35
tawonda

We've shifted to a "works-righteousness theology"? Really?

Care to share any actual citations of ELCA theologians, statements by the ELCA, etc.  that would support this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 9:40AM #36
WannabeTheo

Mar 19, 2011 -- 9:21AM, tawonda wrote:

We've shifted to a "works-righteousness theology"? Really?

"Works righteousness" is an accusation, made by those who like to belittle others for seeking comfort rather than challenge, when they themselve are made uncomfortable by a real challenge.

"Works righteousness" implies we are justified in God's sight by our own works.  The ELCA teaches no such thing.  What the ELCA does teach is that the proper way to respond to God's loving grace is by sharing that love with others, especially those that really need it.  God loves us first, by no merit of our own, and we respond to that love by sharing it.

Apparently, that's too much of a challenge for G_Erdner, and that makes him uncomfortable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook