Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Killing With "Absolute Certainty"
7 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 2:51PM #1
mitchel1
Some of you might find the newest Disciples Peace Fellowship blog of some interest. Does pluralism and tolerance undermine the mental health of soldiers who should kill with "absolute certainty" without the interference of ethical reflection? A crazy politician at the recent Conservative Political Action Committee conference said as much. The blog responds: www.dpfweb.org/dpf-blog/2011/2/13/war-co...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2011 - 7:04PM #2
JuniaDoC

mitchel1, thanks for your alerts to the DPF blog. I had heard about DPF obliquely but am interested in going through the blog entries and getting a feel for what's being said.

On the entry referenced above, just the first paragraph sent chills up my spine. In scanning quickly, my heart sank.

When I can, over the next couple of weeks, I will read these DPF entries and the comments.

For my (other) Lenten study, I will re-read and make it a point to study and prayerfully consider what's being said by all parties.

I can't tell you how many people have come up to me, religious and non-religious alike, to state their concern about what's going on in terms of rhetoric and divisiveness. It's almost like it sneaked up on them. But the seeds for this were sown a long time ago.  People are wondering and asking questions, and I feel a responsibility to them to speak the truth as I understand it. But to do that I also have to take the responsibility to study and analyze what's going on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 9:44AM #3
Xapisma

It seems to me that Mr. Pantano is clinging desperately to his "absolute certainty" as a means of avoiding the moral consequences of his own actions. As long as he can claim that "simply obeying orders" is morally defencible, he does not have to admit any personal culpability in the deaths of the Iraqi civilians.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook