Switch to Forum Live View What is the UCC exactly?
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2011 - 5:42PM #1
searching4faith
I was raised Catholic but left the church when I relized I was gay. Why should I belong to a church that rejects me and my partner? I feel I have been kind of thrown into UCC because no other churches will accept us.If they all say they are Christains how can they be so judgemental and hateful?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2011 - 5:05PM #2
Jilll

Morality is one of the most often abused things within Christianity. I am so very very sorry that you and your partner have been treated so badly. That is not what the walk of Jesus was all about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2011 - 10:55AM #3
mecdukebec

You might want to check out the Open and Affirming coalition of UCC congos that are open to LGBT Christians:

www.ucc.org/lgbt/ona.html

www.ucccoalition.org/programs/ona/

These are congregations that might be able to address your concerns more directly.  Pax.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2011 - 11:30AM #4
Uccsheffieldlake

What is the UCC exactly?  That is a pretty loaded question, to be honest, and the answer would depend on whom you are talking too.

I think what sets us apart from the other mainline faiths is that the power of the UCC rests at the individual congregation.  While the denomination itself has declared that we are an Open and Affirming faith, you will find that many UCC congregations are not ONA.  It is a hope that eventually all denominations will go through the process and declare themselves to be an Open congregation, accepting everyone as one of God's beloved childlren, but the denomination cannot and will not force a church to do so.

That being said, the vast majority of our congregations are very open, even if they have not "officially" declared themselves as such.  But as mentioned by others in this thread, please do check the ONA site, do visit and attend several services with a specific congregation.  If you are in the Northern Ohio / Cleveland area, I can recommend several faith communities, UCC and non-UCC alike.

Peace be with you.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook