Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View How You Prepare For Communion
7 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2011 - 4:50PM #1
tawonda

How do you prepare for Holy Communion?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2011 - 9:36AM #2
AFSkypilot49

Let's see

I get up in the morning

I go up stairs

I fetch the paper

I get a cup of coffee

I watch CBS Sunday Morning

I take a quick shower

I shave

I brush my teeth

I get in the car

I go to church

I go to learning community (adult education hour)

I greet people coming to church

I go to worship

All of this is in preparation of Holy Communion

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2011 - 2:24PM #3
WannabeTheo

I try to still my mind, and focus on the sacrament.  I usually say a short prayer, thanking God for the gift of the sacrament and asking that I may receive it worthily, by which I mean a spirit of repentance and humility and gratitude.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2011 - 10:42AM #4
tawonda

Actually what prompted this question was reading, on the Ship of Fools website, a description of the Communion preparation in at least the conservative corners of the Church of Scotland, which sounds very much like old-school Lutheran Communion preparaton: They send the elders out to all the households in the parish, I'm assuming to gauge the spiritual fitness of particular persons to partake...there's a special confession/absolution prior to the Communion service. One of the correspondents noted that they only communicate quarterly in part because of the complicated logistics of all this.

I'm pondering the happy medium between this sort of thing and people today who have no sense that any sort of self-examination is part of participating in the Eucharist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2011 - 2:14AM #5
TomeReader

Tawonda

My "self-examination," for what it's worth, is the moment of silence during the Confession that opens the service.

For some reason, for many years now (Lord have mercy! I'm getting old!) the Eucharist has for me been more about an encounter with Christ and with the church community more than anything else. After communing, I pray for a few minutes, and then watch the rest of the congregation go forward. As I do this I'm thinking, these are my brothers and sisters in Christ even if I don't know them or like them. Very humbling.

Lynn

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2011 - 2:10PM #6
cranberries

I like that, WannabeTheo. Isn't there a "common" prayer before communion that expresses this? Perhaps an older prayer? I'm wracking my brain to remember...although we can always use our own language sometimes it's nice to have a phrase to fall back on.

-Cranberries

*I apologize for not filling in my profile, I just had to re-register with Beliefnet and need time to restore my info.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2011 - 9:57PM #7
WannabeTheo

Feb 1, 2011 -- 2:10PM, cranberries wrote:

I like that, WannabeTheo. Isn't there a "common" prayer before communion that expresses this?

Not that I'm aware of.  I could only find the following in the new ELW hymnal:

Merciful God, we do not presume to come to your table trusting in our own righteousness, but in your abundant mercy.  Grant us, therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat and drink the body and blood of your dear Son, Jesus Christ, that we may live in him and he in us, now and forever.  Amen.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2011 - 8:11PM #8
Memiller
Our brief order for Confession and Absolution is at the start of each of our Communion Services, and says, I think, all that is needed. Is it possible to just say the words by rote while thinking of ... (to pull an illustration out of my hat)... who is going to win the Super Bowl? Sure. But that is part of the weakness of the flesh, and part of what we struggle against all the time. If you realize that you are not worthy, but that God's grace abounds and is HERE, what more can a detailed examination of your specific sins accomplish?

By the way ...         GO STEELERS!!   :>
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook