Switch to Forum Live View Been attending an Apostolic Pentecostal church and wants to join. Any advice?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2011 - 6:45PM #1
Tlcoopi7

I been attending an Apostolic Pentecostal church, where my fiance and future in-laws attend, for the past few months after I got a feeling that God wants me back in church after slacking off for awhile. When I was growing up, I went to a Church of God (Anderson, IN) church in my hometown and went to other churches when I am not in my hometown. Ever since I started attending there, people were really friendly, introduced themselves to me, and one even send a friend request on Facebook. I really like the church and wanted to join and seeking any advice, especially on female issues and breaking the news to my family. My mom knows about it and is pretty cool about it, just not sure about the other family members.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2011 - 1:39PM #2
rebekahe7

Hi!

I am a former Apostolic Pentecostal, but I now identify as a Southern Baptist.  I was raised in the Apostolic Pentecostal church for 18 years.  Most members of these churches are very nice and welcoming.  If you feel you want to join the church with your future husband's family and you feel like you will grow spiritually there, then do so.  It is wonderful when families can worship together.

However, I just wanted to note that the Apostolic Pentecostal doctrine is different from that of the Church of God, in case you have not noticed this yet.  Apostolic Pentecostals are oneness pentecostals, and they believe Jesus is God alone: He is the son, He is the Father, and He is the Holy Spirit.  They reject the Trinity.  The Church of God follows the Trinitarian doctrine.  To my knowledge, oneness pentecostals are the only Christian denomination to reject the Trinity other than Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons (if the latter two can really consider themselves "Christians." I believe they are heretical.)

Please search your heart and make sure you will agree with the church's teachings before you join.  I believe one should agree with a church's doctrine completely as well as their structure and how they go about handling practical matters.  You also need to make sure you are willing to raise your children to believe the way your church does.

Blessings,

Rebekah

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook