Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Do All Christians Believe that Jesus is God...Part 2
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 6:43PM #11
rideronthastorm

Im glad you feel that way Johnnymyboy in my past experience with the UPC church there was too much talk about how the Catholic church use to torture people who wernt trinitarians and what a cult the Catholic church is and the Pope is the true antiChrist all that jazz and it made me sick.Id like to think somewhere out there are Apostolics who arent just a group of Catholic haters.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 9:35PM #12
Johnboymv

Well, the Catholic church did torture people who preached what they considered "heresy" for quite a number of years.  Thankfully, they stopped that practice a few hundred years ago.  But I personally DON'T believe that the Catholic church is the Antichrist or the Great Whore of Babylon or anything like that.  I do take issue with people claiming that the Catholic church was the "original" church, or that Peter was the first Pope, especially when you take into account that the Catholic church didn't begin until the 4th Century, and many or the Catholic church's beliefs contradict what the original Church taught and believed.  All I can speak for is myself and (to an extent) my local congregation, but we don't hate the Catholics or their church.  We do disagree with them and pray for them to come into full Truth, but we try to mainly focus on the things we do agree on, such as the rights of the unborn and the sanctity of marriage.  The doctrinal differences between our churches can lead to spirited and sometimes heated debate, but I hope that cause people of both faiths to dig deeper into the Word of God and grow in their relationship to Him. =)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 12:15PM #13
Zioness

The Trinity is difficult to accept for most Oneness Pentecostals because of the term Three "Persons."  I think it is warranted.  For example, the Creed of Chalcedon contains the words "Mother of God" to rightfully say that Jesus was born Christ.  This creed was to counteract false doctrines that say Jesus was born a regular man who later became "Christed" because of his good morals.  The Chalcedonian Creed says Jesus was Christ already when He was in Mary's womb by saying she was the mother of God, predetermined--not the mother of someone whose destiny was changed after thought.  After many years the original intent of the term "Mother of God" was lost because of the way it is phrased.  People tend to think Mary is above Jesus Christ and should be prayed to and worshipped, holding a position above Christ, Himself.  Wording is very,very important.  A perfectly righteous intention was twisted to heresy because of the phrasing.

Likewise, the term "Three Persons" has wicked potential when you think about it.  Imagine what meaning that phrase could morph into over time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 12:36PM #14
Zioness

JESUS IS GOD

Matthew 4:10 & Luke 4:8 say, “Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.” 

The word “serve,” latreo, means to minister to, to render religious service or homage, to worship, to perform sacred services, to offer gifts of sacrifice; or for priests to officiate their sacred office.  The word is only used 21 times in the New Testament; every instance refers to this kind of religious service. 

For Jesus is not God - Reject theos Scripture but continually use Mark 16:9-20

Heb 1:6-8

6And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

8But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Here, an angel refuses worship:

Rev 19: 10

And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See [thou do it] not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. (angel from 18:1) 

Jesus does not refuse, but accepts worship:

John 13:13-14

13Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

Deut 6:4 and Mark 12:29

4Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

29And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

Mat 23:8-10

8But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

10Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

John 11:28

28And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee.

Mat 2:11

11And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

Matt 7:22

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Mark 5:6

6But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,

Matt 28:17

16Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.

17And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

Rom 14:9

9For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Philipp 2:9-11

9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Further:

Isaiah 9:6

6For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook