Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Was Lot a good man?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 8:28PM #1
iane73

I have posted this on OrthodoxChristianity.net. Wanted to see what people here might thanks!

===

Genesis 19
   5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where  are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us,  that we may know them.

6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,

7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

8 Behold  now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you,  bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes:  only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow  of my roof.

This has always troubled me. If it is a  sin to fornicate, how much worse is it for a man to offer his daughters  as victims to a pack of wolves? Maybe someone can shed some light on  this one

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:23PM #2
Kerygma

A couple of thoughts from two different commentaries:

-Apostolic authority has declared Lot was "a righteous man" ( 2 Peter 2:8 ), at bottom good, though he contented himself with lamenting the sins  that he saw, instead of acting on his own convictions, and withdrawing  himself and family from such a sink of corruption. But favor was shown  him: and even his bad relatives had, for his sake, an offer of  deliverance, which was ridiculed and spurned ( 2 Peter 3:4 )

Nothing but that sacred light in which the rights of hospitality were  regarded among the eastern nations, could either justify or palliate  this proposal of Lot. A man who had taken a stranger under his care and  protection, was bound to defend him even at the expense of his own life.  In this light the rights of hospitality are still regarded in Asiatic  countries; and on these high notions only, the influence of which an  Asiatic mind alone can properly appreciate, Lot's conduct on this  occasion can be at all excused: but even then, it was not only the  language of anxious solicitude, but of unwarrantable haste.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2011 - 2:04PM #3
razzputin

Lot was a bit of a wimp fer tryin' ta pimp his daughters to da mob, but his wife now..  she wuz one salty gal!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 9:55AM #4
Kerygma

Indeed! His wife was a real pillar in her community. 

Good Bright Week to you, Razz.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2011 - 10:06AM #5
razzputin

Yes she wuz, and I hope the same for you. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 9:41AM #6
Xapisma

Good to see you again, Razz. It would appear that Christ is not the only one back from the dead.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 2:56AM #7
Roodog

You should read what his girls did after they fled from Sodom, lock up the liquor cabinet!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook