Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Metropolitan Philip defends decisions He says transfer of bishop needed to revive diocese
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 10:28AM #1
Kerygma

By DAVID YONKE
BLADE RELIGION EDITOR

The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church is thriving everywhere in North America except the Midwest, according to the archdiocese's longtime leader, Metropolitan Philip Saliba.

And that was the sole reason for a controversial decision, announced last month, to transfer Bishop Mark Maymon, bishop of Toledo and the Midwest, to the Pacific Northwest.

Bishop Mark refused the move and instead is joining the Orthodox Church in America.

"I told our local synod when we met Oct. 22 in Jacksonville, Fla., that perhaps we put the wrong man in the wrong place," Metropolitan Philip said Monday in an interview from his Englewood, N.J., headquarters. "And I wanted to transfer His Grace, Bishop Mark, to the Northwest, where he can do a much, much better job."

Read entire story here: http://www.toledoblade.com/article/20101106/NEWS10/11050415

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 3:24PM #2
Prajna

We can only pray that His Emminence knows that he is doing.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 9:36PM #3
Kerygma

Oh... he knows what he is doing, Prajna. That's the real indictment against him. If he didn't know what he was doing, his tyrannical behavior might be excused. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2010 - 2:09PM #4
Prajna

K,

He is the Metropolitan of AOC in America.  He does have the oversight of the Diocese.  I guess this comes down to the role of an autocepholous church and it's Bishops in regards to our mother Church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2010 - 11:06PM #5
Kerygma

Yes, that's all true, Praj. It's also well known that the road to hell is paved with the curbstones of bishops and the cobblestones of priests. In other words, bishops are just as capable of sinning as the rest of us. If you would listen to the Metropolitan in that interview I mentioned, you would in all probability develop a different attitude about the man. BUT... we do need to pray for him. He has some "splaining" to do to our Lord (as do we all) and tossing this priest and his wife and children into the streets a few weeks before Christmas is not a particularly charitable thing to do.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook