Switch to Forum Live View Methodism and Anglicanism
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 11:55PM #1
byronearnold

I am not a Methodist.  I am, in fact, an Episcopalian/Anglican.  I found out recently that a dear friend of mine is Methodist, so I did a lot of looking into Methodism because I was ccurious.  I discovered that Methodism is an offshoot of Anglicanism.  So I am just curious, what distinguishes the two groups (Methodism and Anglicanism) from each other, and more specifically, Methodism and Episcopalianism.

Thanks in advance for your responses!  May the God of all bless you greatly!  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 3:17AM #2
Tphoenician

I'll get some info for you...

Taylor

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2010 - 10:41PM #3
byronearnold

Nov 5, 2010 -- 3:17AM, Tphoenician wrote:

I'll get some info for you...

Taylor

Did ya ever find the info, by any chance?  Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2010 - 9:37PM #4
Roodog

Oct 22, 2010 -- 11:55PM, byronearnold wrote:

I am not a Methodist.  I am, in fact, an Episcopalian/Anglican.  I found out recently that a dear friend of mine is Methodist, so I did a lot of looking into Methodism because I was ccurious.  I discovered that Methodism is an offshoot of Anglicanism.  So I am just curious, what distinguishes the two groups (Methodism and Anglicanism) from each other, and more specifically, Methodism and Episcopalianism.

Thanks in advance for your responses!  May the God of all bless you greatly!  :)

The Wesleys and George Whitefield were lifelong Anglicans, Byron.

The Methodists went their own way after the time of these preachers.

Instead of the 39 Articles they have the the 25 Articles ( they officially took out the Calvinist elements)

For more than a century, they were one of the great Evangelical bodies in Protestantism.

Their emphasis on personal holiness has influenced the Nazarene and Pentecostal Church.

They are  more conservative than TEC and less conservative than other Evangelicals now.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2010 - 1:13PM #5
lucaspa

Oct 22, 2010 -- 11:55PM, byronearnold wrote:

the initial split was political, not theological.  Methodists sided with the American Revolution and, after the Revolution succeeded, felt uncomfortable giving allegiance to the official Church of England. Smile

Once the separation happened, there was some divergence in theology and church governence.

You can go to www.umc.org and look up Methodist beliefs.  www.umc.org/site/c.lwL4KnN1LtH/b.1355349...

The differences are more those of emphasis rather than distinct doctrinal differences:
www.umc.org/site/c.lwL4KnN1LtH/b.2310047... 

"If sound science appears to contradict the Bible, we may be sure that it is our interpretation of the Bible that is at fault."  Christian Observer, 1832, pg. 437

"Christians should look on evolution simply as the method by which God works."  James McCosh, theologian and President of Princeton, The Religious Aspects of Evolution, 2d ed. 1890, pg 68.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook