Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Just switched to Methodism...LONG
7 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2010 - 10:40AM #1
answerseeker

I grew up with a mom who grew up Methodist.  My grandparents switched to Church of Christ later on in life.  My mom never really went to church while I was growing up but she did teach the Bible to me and made me watch Biblical movies with her, i.e., The Story of Ruth, Esther, Ben Hur...etc etc...  so I did have a decent foundation.  I attended Church of Christ with my grandparents on and off.  Not a bad place, just no musical instruments.  Fast forward many years of not going to church, I enroll my son in a First Baptist daycare.  I had been wanting to find a church home and out of convenience and not knowing anything about the Baptist religion I joined.  AFter going for about a year and half I decided it wasn't for me.  My pastor literally "called out" a guy in front of the congregation for being a bar owner and humiliated him.  I thought that was WRONG.  It really gave me sour grapes about church in general.  I didn't go for about 3 years.  Recently my daughter has led me to a Methodist church where she is employed.  I think it was God calling to us because of how it happened.  She got into some trouble and had to do community service.  She did it at the church, doing housekeeping and did such a good job it turned into a paying job for her.  The stipulation of employment there was that she had to be a churchmember.   I was SO glad because for about 2 years she informed me she was an atheist.  She had some bad things happen to her and lost faith in GOd.  I informed her that I would be more than happy to join the church with her because frankly, I need God in my life.  We are in the process of becoming 'real' members now and I am happy to say  my daughter is a believer again!  One week after my daughter got her job at the church we found out she is pregnant.  She was really scared they would fire her for it but they didn't.  In fact our pastor always preaches that Jesus' disciples were not perfect...they were broken people, and so are we.  This really gave her faith in God again.  I know this situation isn't ideal, but thankfully the Lord is forgiving.  and she is a teenager and she is going to make mistakes.  We are dealing the best we can for a new baby to be born in March.  I'm trying to support her the best I can so she can finish school.   I am sorry for this lost post, but I just want to say that I finally found a religion I can identify with and have found a true church 'home'.  I am on here to learn all that I can!  Thanks for reading this far...if you have! :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 8:48PM #2
Bevo
Blessings to you and your daughter.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2010 - 1:27PM #3
lucaspa

I hope you are still enjoying yourself.  It's always nice to hear a Methodist church living up to the slogan "Open hearts, open minds, open doors".  Enjoy your journey of salvation (and Methodists believe it is a journey, not a single event).

"If sound science appears to contradict the Bible, we may be sure that it is our interpretation of the Bible that is at fault."  Christian Observer, 1832, pg. 437

"Christians should look on evolution simply as the method by which God works."  James McCosh, theologian and President of Princeton, The Religious Aspects of Evolution, 2d ed. 1890, pg 68.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2010 - 10:49PM #4
Bevo

"Open hearts, open minds, open doors" and closed Bibles.  No, Methodism is not a boundary church, requiring persons to prescribe to a defined statement of beliefs (except acknowledging Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior) in order to be accepted.  Rather, Methodism is a centered church, where Christ is the center, and all of us are of varying distances from the center.  However, the goal of Methodism is to accept persons from however distanced from the center they might be, and intentionally move them ever closer to the center. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook