Switch to Forum Live View Faith... Believing... Why?
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 11:55AM #1
Kerygma

Why is it that some folks believe and others do not? And why is it that some believe from an early age...almost as though they were born with faith whereas others come out doubting from the get-go?

I work with a Roman Catholic lady. She was born and raised in the Church but for many years wandered away. Recently she returned to the Church and absolutely loves everything about it. She goes to every mass, says her rosary, participates in their bible studies (yes... apparently they study the bible! Imagine that!) and so forth.

We were talking the other day and she invited me to come and see. I told her that while I admired her belief, there were things about the Catholic Church that I could never accept. So there you have it: she believes and I do not believe. On the other hand, some of what I believe, she cannot believe.

And in all of this, we each obviously believe we are correct. Look, Charlie, you believe some things different than I and yet we both claim guidance for the Spirit and from the Word. And in all of this... where is real truth? Yes... I know that the Lord is the Way, the Truth and the Life but you claim Him as your Lord and so do I. So one might also ask: in all of this... where is the Lord?

That faithful, old Cicilian granny who has been going to early morning mass all her life and clutching her prayer beads to her bosom... talking to the Lord and His Mother and the Saints... what does the Lord think of her? of her faith? And if He accepts her, then why not you were you to embrace her faith? Or is it that she must embrace your faith in order to be saved and find peace? And why is it that your position is the right one? Could it be because it is the only one you've known and have trusted these years? After all... if you go back far enough you'll discover that your church had a very definite beginning in history (and not all that long ago in terms of the history of Christian belief). So one might ask... before your founder, where was the truth?

Well.. I see I've managed to derail myself a bit. Let's go back to the first paragraph and work forward from there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 6:09PM #2
Xapisma

"We know where the Church is. We do not know where the Church is not."

As a Christian (generic), and as a Disciple of Christ (brand name), I tend to think that it is best to err on the side of grace. The Church did not come into being until Pentecost, after the Ascension, so Our Lord never dealt with a divided Church.

The account in Acts shows a Church in which there were differences of opinion on a number of questions, as the Church felt its way forward. But through it all, the unity of the Church was never questioned. John, in his Gospel, had Jesus' "High Priestly Prayer" (Jn 17) wherein Our Lord prayed, "that they be one, even as Thou and I are one."

And for a thousand years, that remained true.

But in AD 1054, our ancestors in the faith failed. As a Disciple Protestant, it matters not to me who was at fault, East or West. I believe both failed because the end result was schism. That is manifestly NOT what Our Lord desired for His Church.

What was the question again?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 6:23PM #3
Xapisma

Oh, yeah. the Sicilian granny. (Or the Russian babushka.)

Does the love and light of Christ shine through? Do they (or we) manifest Christ-likeness in our lives? I can't quote you a chapter and verse on this, but it seems to me that any person whose life has been transformed by the Holy Spirit will show that transformation in their words and actions. Oh, yeah! -> "By their fruits you shall know them."

Yes, I know that we Disciples, as an identifyable entity, date back only to 1801/1809 (depending on who you ask), but our roots are far deeper. We didn't just spring up out of untilled earth. We are heirs of the Scottish Presbyterians, who are heirs of John Knox and John Calvin, who are heirs of the Western Patriarchate.  The reason we formed as a group in the first place is that we saw the divisions of the Church as contrary to the will of Christ. There was consensus among us that the Church of Jesus Christ is One, comprised of all those who believe in Jesus as the Christ, the Son of God, and who seek to conform our lives to the will of God as best as we can understand it.

I have oftimes wondered what would have happened had the Campbells known anything about the Eastern Church. Alexander Campbell spoke of restoring the "Ancient Order of Things".

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 5:29AM #4
razzputin

I've read dese here posts twice and I still don't get what yer bitch iz.  Playstation.  Ya both need to go buy a Playstation and find a nice game like Elder Scrolls Oblivion or Grand Theft Auto.  Dere.  Nuff said.  I'm gonna go to Centerfolds now and get a Lap Dance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 11:19PM #5
Xapisma

I guessing too much ouzo. What do you think Kerygma?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook