Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 2:30PM #1
RJMcElwain

What is the Bible?

Is it a collection of mostly anonymously written books meant to give direction or general guidance to a specific culture? Is it a precise legal manual? Is it a science manual? Or is it written by the hand of God? If it’s God’s writing, why are there so many web sites dedicated to cataloging Biblical errors and contradictions?

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 3:30PM #2
BBarton

"Bible" is Latin for book.

When the Roman Empire fell and Constantine was scrambling to keep the people from civil war, it seemed a good idea to unite under the new religion.

The problem was, whereas "church" meant followers of "the way", Constantine made a religious empire.  Those in favor with the empire, not necessarily the people, got to pick and choose even alter what would be included, decide what writings to exclude, as well as which people would be part of the religious empire. 

Whereas Jesus, Christ would never have accused, slandered, tortured, or killed to get to the top, the little beast with lamb's horns would stop short of nothing; sometimes vanquishing innocent men, women, and children.  When attacking the Cathars hiding in the cathedral with other townfolk, some one asked "how do we tell them apart?"  "Kill them all and let God sort out his own", was the instruction given by papal authority. 

I would love to see (it's a dream of mine) a modern day Book put together made of the earliest texts and leaving out any embellished religious dogma nonexistant before the second century.  -Written without the restrictions of patriarchy, (here I'm referring mainly to the old testament stories.)

It may not seem like it, but I do love the Bible and take great comfort in it.  I just think it's important to read between lines as well.  It's the Spirit of the word that is most important.

How about you?  What do you think? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 4:37PM #3
RJMcElwain

BB,

I think you're right on target, both about the history of the Bible and your dreams. In fact, I've tried, on a few occasions, to persuade some of the people at the Westar Institute to publish an updated Bible in loose leaf form that could be added to periodically. This update would include some of the writings of Augustine, Aquinas and several other more modern Bible scholars/theologians. It would likely be the first time the Bible included attributed writings. So far, Westar hasn't jumped on the idea. However, they do have their own publishing company, so it would be a workable project.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 6:48PM #4
Dutch777

Bob:

Stirr --- but don't get splattered.

farm4.static.flickr.com/3501/3197199560_...

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 1:14AM #5
kurnell

The Bible is God's inspired, totally inerrant word with the bit about King James in the front!

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 8:44AM #6
Kimball

Oct 5, 2010 -- 2:30PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

What is the Bible?

Bob,

Is it a collection of mostly anonymously written booksThey are not all anonymous. meant to give direction or general guidance to a specific culture?A few basic hermeneutic principles combined with common sense will answer that question, Bob.  Is it a precise legal manual? Parts of it are. Is it a science manual?No  Or is it written by the hand of God?Bob, I will quote to you from the Catechism found in the 1979 Book of Common Prayer.  See page 853 "We call them [the Holy Scriptures] the Word of God because God inspired their human authors..." If it’s God’s writing, why are there so many web sites dedicated to cataloging Biblical errors and contradictions?Every so-called error I have ever seen can be refuted.  If you think you have a new one which will discredit the Bible, let's discuss it.

Bob, if you are a TEC member, you are in a church which believes about the Bible that "...whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith..." Page 868 of 1979BCP.  Furthermore on page 871 of the BCP TEC-indorsed documents state, "...it is not lawful for the Church to ordain any thing that is contrary to God's Word written, neither may it so expound one place of Scripture, that is repugnant to another..."

The Westar institute is great a garnering publicity but less adept at defending some of its positions in the wider field of Biblical scholarship. Have you ever read any refutations of their work?

Kimball

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 10:50AM #7
Dutch777

Oct 6, 2010 -- 1:14AM, kurnell wrote:

The Bible is God's inspired, totally inerrant word with the bit about King James in the front!

Let' not forget that God was thoughtful enough to parse the bible into chapters and verses, add red letters --- and leave a copy in every motel room.

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 11:11AM #8
JoanTreese

Oct 6, 2010 -- 10:50AM, Dutch777 wrote:

Let' not forget that God was thoughtful enough to parse the bible into chapters and verses, add red letters --- and leave a copy in every motel room.

Dutch~  You are sooooo bad!!!!Wink

Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 1:27PM #9
Kimball

Oct 6, 2010 -- 10:50AM, Dutch777 wrote:

Dutch, I really don't like the red letter editions because that can imply that the red words are more important than the black words.  All of them are God's words and must be interpreted consistently.

As far as the hotel rooms, when I am staying in a hotel or motel, I try to walk by the housekeeping room when the maids are there.  Often the Gideons have left a stack of replacement Bibles and the maids will give a guest "one for the road."  (The Gideons are happy to have them in use.)  Then I pass the Bible I have gotten from housekeeping along to someone who does not have a Bible.

Kimball

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 2:25PM #10
RJMcElwain

Oct 6, 2010 -- 8:44AM, Kimball wrote:

They are not all anonymous. 

Can you verify that?

Robert J. McElwain

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook