Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
7 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 3:02PM #11
Dutch777

The division of the bible into verses was done by the Parisian printer Robert Estienne (aka Robert Stevens) in his 1551 edition of the vulgate.  He was XRC.

www.udallasclassics.org/whyClassics_files/image030.jpg

Here's a woodcut of him.  I wonder how he could keep escargot out of his beard at dinner.

The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2010 - 9:22AM #12
Kimball

Oct 6, 2010 -- 2:25PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Oct 6, 2010 -- 8:44AM, Kimball wrote:

They are not all anonymous. 

Hello Bob,

Well, that depends upon what standard of proof you will accept for ANY ancient document. I assume you believe that Plato wrote the Republic or that Thucydides wrote the histories attributed to him.  Of course, I hope you are not one of the conspiracy theorists who is not sure if William Shakespeare actually wrote his plays and poems.

Even serious, liberal scholarship is in agreement with conservatives on the authorship many of the books in the New Testament.  As far as the Old Testament, traditional rabbinic and later scholars agree on many of the authors.  But I realize I am being general here, so if there is a particular book or books you wish to discuss, please name it and we can go from there.

Bob, I wonder if the wider question you are asking is not as follows:  If there is a God, does He wish to communicate to us with the basic human medium of words.  And if He does wish to communicate with us by the use of words, was he able to successfully do so?

Kimball

Can you verify that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2010 - 9:32AM #13
Kimball

Oct 6, 2010 -- 2:26PM, BritLit37 wrote:

Hmmm, I didn't know that one of the archbishops of Canterbury was God! ABC Stephen Langton in the 13th Century is credited for being the first to divide the Bible into chapters. The reason I know this is because he is one of my ancestors. A great, great, great, I don't know how many times great-uncle. He, of course, was a celibate but my uncle traced our family WAY back and found him in the tree. Our descendants came from his brother. Anyhoo...

The Bible troubles me. Actually, I'm not sure if it's the Bible that troubles me or if it's the glaringly problematic ways in which we've appropriated it. I should qualify -- it's the OT that really troubles me. So much of it is SO reminiscent of Greco-Roman mythology, particularly the manner in which God interacts with the prophets and how God at times appears, well, not entirely good.

Brit,  You always have thoughtful, non-polemical postings and I appreciate them.  But getting to the substance of your second paragraph, C.S. Lewis was a scholar of ancient myths from many cultures and he wrestled with your concerns prior to his conversion.  There has been quite a bit written on this matter in the last hundred years.  Some of it is from a secular anthropological point of view and some of it is from a distinctly Christian apologetic viewpoint.

As far as the varying views of God's nature in the Old Testament, an interesting, erudite book on the subject is THE BOOK of J by Harold Bloom, the distinguished literary critic.  He takes it from a literary viewpoint and not a traditional Christian or Jewish outlook.  Bloom's style is almost playful, in my opinion and is a pleasure to read.  But in the end, I think he misses the point.

Kimball

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2010 - 7:16PM #14
Roodog

Oct 6, 2010 -- 1:14AM, kurnell wrote:

The Bible is God's inspired, totally inerrant word with the bit about King James in the front!

And don't you ever forget it!Wink

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook