4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2010 - 12:48PM #1
Kerygma
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2010 - 4:02PM #2
Xapisma

Interesting. What do you make of this data, Kerygma?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2010 - 11:20PM #3
Kerygma

Oct 4, 2010 -- 4:02PM, Xapisma wrote:

Interesting. What do you make of this data, Kerygma?

I don't really know. My gut feeling is that it's not really very good news in spite of the spin being put on it. I was amazed to see that the Bulgarians have increased as they have. But then  they had a big influx from the Holy Order of MANS people (a former cult) when they  wanted to hook up with a canonical jurisdiction. I am surprised about  the Oriental Orthodox increase. I'm wondering if that is from immigration or  from conversion.

It seems to me that things are moving too slowly. I applaud the efforts of the Antiochians, Greeks and the OCA in trying to do what they can to fulfill the Great Commission (i.e. Ancient Faith Radio, Come Receive the Light as two examples of outreach) but overall, there's still far too much public identity of Orthodoxy as being "exotic, foreign, a type of Roman Catholic, and NOT for US." And I believe that this continues to hinder the growth of the Church. Sadly the clergy are only partially listening and so the minimal growth continues as compared to the growth of Pentecostals and other Evangelicals. I'm not really thrilled with the results but that is just my gut feeling.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 6:14PM #4
Xapisma

Well, FWIW, The few Orthodoxen I have known have been far more...intentional...about their faith than most other Christian bodies.  But then, most of the Orthodoxen I have known have been converts.

Ask the converts. Find out what it was that drew them to the Orthodox (rather than some other) Church. Focus on what works in drawing the lost and broken into the healing light of the faith.

My 2¢ worth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 11:12AM #5
Kerygma

So, Charlie... let's talk about faith... in another thread. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 5:41AM #6
razzputin

Holy Order of Mans.  Hey datz da group Fadder Hoiman brung in outta da cold!  A bunch of dem ended up wit da Soibianz too!  Sheeit!  Americanz'll convoit to anything...  Maybe a hostile takeover of da Bulgarianz is in da future!  If ya subtract all da ex-cultists like HOOMS, ex-Protestants and ex-Catlicks, den der iz only about 112 Bulgarianz in dere.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 11:20PM #7
Xapisma

Oct 9, 2010 -- 5:41AM, razzputin wrote:

der iz only about 112 Bulgarianz in dere.

But only one Razz. That's why you is so speshul.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook