Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The New Calendar Schism
7 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2010 - 6:34PM #1
Apologist117

See this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYJsHJ4UW_o

The papal calendar of Pope Gregory (13th) was the first step toward ecumenism and prayer with the Latin west. Since the new calendar innovation, we have seen more and more actions of apostasy from the super-ecumenist Patriarch Bartholomew and other latin minded sees, like Antioch (who recogisez Monophysites and Roman Catholics).

I think that "Orthodox" people (or people who claim to be Orthodox), who do not care about ecumenist issues, are typically from fundamentalist or protestant backgrounds and do no not have a proper understanding of holy tradition and the divine authority of the Ecumenical Councils. They seem to have this attitude that apostasy is just not possible today. The same kind of thinking we see in Vatican 2 Roman "Catholics."

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 2:13AM #2
Kerygma

Nonsense. You "think" that Orthodox people who "claim" to be Orthodox but do not share your warped view are typically from fundie backgrounds... right? Horse feathers! The lunatic fringe (i.e. HOCNA, the True Greek Church, or whatever other non-canonical group you've embraced) are always looking for snakes under rocks. It's their past-time. It's their raison d'etre.

What do you know of those who happen to be members of the OCA, the Antiochian Church, the GOA or other churches of SCOBA? You know nothing of these good folk, in particular their background. In truth, those who point fingers are generally guilty of the very things of which they accuse others.

It's people like you who not only give Orthodoxy a bad name but make me wince every time I identify myself as an Orthodox and wonder if the other person thinks I'm a member of one of the self-righteous, separatist groups named above. Thank goodness ROCOR came in from the cold although they lost a few of their faithful to the fringe groups.

You have no audience here for your hatred, Pal. There's no love in your message... nothing but judgment. And yes... you can accuse me of the same... that's your privilege. Thank goodness I never got sucked into one of these groups when I converted some twenty years ago.

Oct 1, 2010 -- 6:34PM, Apologist117 wrote:

See this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYJsHJ4UW_o

The papal calendar of Pope Gregory (13th) was the first step toward ecumenism and prayer with the Latin west. Since the new calendar innovation, we have seen more and more actions of apostasy from the super-ecumenist Patriarch Bartholomew and other latin minded sees, like Antioch (who recogisez Monophysites and Roman Catholics).

I think that "Orthodox" people (or people who claim to be Orthodox), who do not care about ecumenist issues, are typically from fundamentalist or protestant backgrounds and do no not have a proper understanding of holy tradition and the divine authority of the Ecumenical Councils. They seem to have this attitude that apostasy is just not possible today. The same kind of thinking we see in Vatican 2 Roman "Catholics."

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 11:13AM #3
Kerygma

Oh, and by the way. I noticed that the ability to add comments to the video you linked us to in YouTube has been disabled. Typical of your type. You do drive-by accusations as it were but can't tolerate the disagreeing opinions of others. Over the ten + years that I have participated in online Orthodox forums, I've seen this sort of rubbish time and time again. It's always some fanatical group (usually just a handful since thankfully most Orthodox do not embrace this radicalism) that comes into a forum and then stirs up trouble.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 5:23AM #4
razzputin

As long as we can agree on what day it is, who cares about da date?  Apologist needs a day job.   An don't start pickin' on doze Masons now either.  Why do dey alwayz pick on da Masons...  go bother da carpenters or da plumbers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 11:16PM #5
Xapisma

Jesus was a carpenter. How bout we pick on da electritians instead?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 9:55PM #6
Apologist117

Kerygma,

You gave no reason why the saints and Orthodox Councils should be ignored. Mainstream "Orthodoxy" today does not want Orthodoxy. They want to turn Orthodoxy into something protestant.

The papal calendar has been condemned by no less than 13 Orthodox Councils:

1- the Pan Orthodox Council of 1583

2- the Pan Orthodox Council of 1587

3- the Pan Orthodox Council of 1593

4- the teaching of Patriarch Dositheos of Jerusalem and his Holy Synod in 1670

5- Ecumenical Patriarch Agathangelos and his Holy Synod in 1827

6- Ecumenical Patriarch Anthimos VII and his Holy Synod in 1895

7- Ecumenical Patriarch Joachim III and his Holy Synod in 1902

8- the Holy Synod of the church of Russia and the Holy Synod of the church of Romania and the Holy Synod of the church of Greece in 1903

9- Ecumenical Patriarch Joachim III and his Holy Synod in 1904

10- the Holy Synod of the church of Greece in 1919

11- Patriarch Gregory of Antioch, Patriarch Damianos of Jerusalem, Patriarch Photios of Alexandria,  and Archbisop Cyril of Cyprus in 1924

12- the Holy Synod of Zealot Athonite Fathers and the Holy Synod of Genuine Orthodox Fathers  in 1926

the 3 bishops who left the Ecumenical Patriarchate in 1935

13- Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina  in 1950

14- Metropolitan Auxentios (successor to Akakios) in 1974

OBEY THE CHURCH.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 10:47PM #7
Kerygma

Utter foolishness (and the devil's work at that). Take your fantical nonsense and begone. This is little more than the work of Satan to sow division here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 7:47AM #8
Xapisma

I could be wrong, but this whole issue sounds to me like it is less about the date on the calendar, and more about, "If Rome is for it, we must be against it." Sounds like a lot of Protestants I know, too, come to thnk of it.

If Rome were to say, "Water is wet", they would insist that it is dry.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 10:16AM #9
Kerygma

Nov 7, 2010 -- 7:47AM, Xapisma wrote:

I could be wrong, but this whole issue sounds to me like it is less about the date on the calendar, and more about, "If Rome is for it, we must be against it." Sounds like a lot of Protestants I know, too, come to thnk of it.

If Rome were to say, "Water is wet", they would insist that it is dry.

Absolutely, 100% correct, Charlie. What a great analogy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2010 - 11:20AM #10
Xapisma

Sadly, I suspect that if the Eastern Churches had reformed the calendar to better coincide with observable siderial movements, it would be *Rome* arguing that it was wrong to change it.

"Just because" is never a good argument.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook