Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Sick of Beliefnet and its Ads
7 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 5:18AM #11
razzputin

Ahhh, yer all nutz!  I love da pop-up adz.  Dey provide a welcome respite frum all da religious prattle goin' on here!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 11:14PM #12
Xapisma

I see yer point, Razz. Closing all them dern popups gives us time to think before posting. Always good advice.

Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2010 - 6:00PM #13
iane73

Has anyone tried orthodoxchristianity.net? I have found once I learned my way around there it is agreat website. I hoope this is not against bnet rules

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2010 - 7:42PM #14
Kerygma

Uh huh. I've been a member there for many years but in truth, I seldom post anymore. In fact, I haven't been there in close to a year now. I'm not sure why I began to tire of the site. My guesses are: too many threads, too many members, too much arguing and controversy... and perhaps (just a guess) I was simply growing weary of Orthodox discussion (i.e. should a woman wear a headcovering, should a man shave or have a beard, should we have pews or not, is the Julian Calendar somehow divine, should we use oil or can we have wax lampadas, will you be fasting this year and if so what are you including, etc etc etc... yada yada yada).

I will only admit that it is a far cry better than this pathetic state of affairs here on Belief(?)net... the website that is trying so very hard to be a social networking site just like the big boys (i.e. Facebook and company) and failing miserably. But then let's face it, most forums on other websites are better than this one so that's not saying a great deal.

You might also try OrthodoxCircle (although I admit that this is more of a "find a mate" site than anything else). Good luck. Oh... almost forgot. There are some Yahoo Orthodox forums but many are dying. I honestly think that forums are yesterday's means of communication and statistics seem to support this contention. Most today communicate via Facebook and Twitter (and of course... texting).

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2010 - 7:53PM #15
iane73

Nov 14, 2010 -- 7:42PM, Kerygma wrote:

Uh huh. I've been a member there for many years but in truth, I seldom post anymore. In fact, I haven't been there in close to a year now. I'm not sure why I began to tire of the site. My guesses are: too many threads, too many members, too much arguing and controversy... and perhaps (just a guess) I was simply growing weary of Orthodox discussion (i.e. should a woman wear a headcovering, should a man shave or have a beard, should we have pews or not, is the Julian Calendar somehow divine, should we use oil or can we have wax lampadas, will you be fasting this year and if so what are you including, etc etc etc... yada yada yada).

Fortunately I have been able to avoid the starining at gnats and swallowing of camels that nay be on that website. I really like that for whatever problems it may have, it is very active.

I will only admit that it is a far cry better than this pathetic state of affairs here on Belief(?)net... the website that is trying so very hard to be a social networking site just like the big boys (i.e. Facebook and company) and failing miserably. But then let's face it, most forums on other websites are better than this one so that's not saying a great deal.

You might also try OrthodoxCircle (although I admit that this is more of a "find a mate" site than anything else). Good luck. Oh... almost forgot. There are some Yahoo Orthodox forums but many are dying. I honestly think that forums are yesterday's means of communication and statistics seem to support this contention. Most today communicate via Facebook and Twitter (and of course... texting).

Facebook is OK, but on the Orthodox Christian (and I assume most Facebook faith communities) pages that I use are populated by people I already know to talk about get togethers not religious dialogue

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2010 - 11:06PM #16
Kerygma

Ian, it's cool that you enjoy this other site. I wasn't trying to discourage you from posting over there and I completely understand. For me... I've been posting on Orthodox forums since 1998 and frankly, it no longer really interests me very much. I suppose you could say that I'm bored with all of it. Why I continue coming here is a mystery to me but I suppose at some point I'll just drop this as I have all the other Orthodox forums. B-net as lousy as it is, remains the last forum on which I occasionally discuss the Faith. Take care.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook