Switch to Forum Live View Curious Lapsed Protestant Seeks To Cross the Floor!
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 1:01PM #1
mancini

Hi!

My background is Evangelical Protestant (Charismatic Movement dropout actually, since this was my mother's personal belief system and raised me within it. I am at present a lapsed believer, but I have been increasingly curious about and drawn towards the Catholic faith over the past few years. I would appreciate hearing from anyone about what Catholic faith means to them, and if they coul dmaybe offer advice about how I might 'cross the floor' so to speak. I have studied much Catholic literature and doctrine and find myself writing defensively of established and traditional Catholic truth even though I am not officially a part of the Church! :)

Many Thanks and Blessings!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 5:18PM #2
Fraggle

I could answer your question, but it is more important to me that you pray to the Holy Spirit to be guided in following God's will. Yes, there are many good things about Catholicism, and there are many touching and inspiring conversion stories, but I think it is more important to become Catholic because you believe God is professing His Truth in the Catholic Church, that you feel compelled to obey God by joining the Catholic Church.

God be with you!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2010 - 3:34PM #3
Mysty101

Sep 13, 2010 -- 1:01PM, mancini wrote:

Hi!

My background is Evangelical Protestant (Charismatic Movement dropout actually, since this was my mother's personal belief system and raised me within it. I am at present a lapsed believer, but I have been increasingly curious about and drawn towards the Catholic faith over the past few years. I would appreciate hearing from anyone about what Catholic faith means to them, and if they coul dmaybe offer advice about how I might 'cross the floor' so to speak. I have studied much Catholic literature and doctrine and find myself writing defensively of established and traditional Catholic truth even though I am not officially a part of the Church! :)

Many Thanks and Blessings! 

Hi Mancini,

Welcome to this forum.  You are a big reason we are here.  If you have any questions, please ask, and we will do our best to help you, and pray with you and for you.  We have many payers in the(click here) Catholic Cloisters if you care to visit.

I am a cradle Catholic, and have grown more and more in my Faith, and do believe that Jesus did give Peter the keys to the kingdom.  Praying to the Spirit is an excellent suggestion.  Have you attended Catholic Mass? 

If you wish to learn more, call your local rectory and inquire about instructions for converts (RCIA-rite of Christian Initiation for adults).  Now is a good time, since the sessions usually begin now for Baptism or other sacraments on Holy Saturday.  If you were baptised with water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, that will not be repeated.  You will profess your belief in the teachings of the Catholic Church, if you see this is where you are being led.  You may sit in on the instructions to discern your conversion without any obligation.

You certainly are a part of the Catholic Curch, even if you are not a full member.

God bless you in your journey.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2010 - 6:47PM #4
Bezant

Hello Marcini and welcome to beliefnet

My immediate family and I are "converts" from Methodism. I entered the Church through the Sacrament of First Communion, as I was too young to study under RCIA and had never underwent initiation beyond Baptism in the Methodist church -- so according to the Catholic Church, I never really "left."

But the change was different enough -- all of a sudden, Communion was really Him, and you had to go to Confession and abstain for Lent, etc. I was also very sceptical of religion for a while, especially Catholicism. Also, most of my family is Protestant. For those reasons in practise I consider myself a convert, and I could not have been as confident as I am now in my faith without my straying.

So in a nutshell: for me, it's that the Church is rooted in unity, tradition, and consitency that's preserved it over the centuries, but the diversity within those confines.

When I finally did re-accept Christianity as my faith I was left with the task of choosing a denomination. At first I thought it didn't matter, as long as it suited me it was fine. But Christ didn't found a denomination -- he founded a Church, one Body.

I advise that you continue to keep your mind open, pray on it, and visit a local parish (I've heard there are loads in Berlin).

Also, if you do decide to become a full member of the Church -- and I tell this to anyone who's thinking of converting -- visit an Eastern Rite church for Divine Liturgy. Frankly there's not many, even in large cities, you'll be lucky to get 5. But you may be attracted to the "Eastern" discplines, which is IMO the most traditional and the most historical. There's a Maronite church called Our Lady of Lebanon in London and the DL was excellent, pleasantly different from a Novus Ordo Mass. And more importantly, once you join a rite of the Church you can only switch to another rite once in your lifetime.

Peace. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook