Switch to Forum Live View How did you get to Orthodoxy and Why.
4 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2010 - 3:59PM #1
Bezant

And that is the question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 1:57AM #2
Prajna

I honestly don't remember how I came across Orthodoxy.  Now that I think about it, I wish I did!  But I do remember the first time I ever stepped foot in an Orthodox Church.

I became Orthodox because I believe that it is the true foundation of Jesus Christ.  I believe it is what the Apostle's taught, the Disciples learned, and the Fathers preached about.  It is historically the Church of Jesus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 10:17AM #3
Bezant

Thanks Pranja. Just to add fodder : what were you practising before Orthodoxy? Why did you want to visit the Orthodox church?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 11:13AM #4
Kerygma

The year was 1990 and I was on a three week trip to the former Soviet Union. We spent a week in Moscow, a week in Leningrad and a week divided between Kiev and Yalta during which time we toured many palaces and churches. While walking through the Kievo Lavra in Kiev... a series of caves/catacombs, I was struck by the ancient quality of the Church. Upon returning home I contacted a Ukrainian priest and spent about six months being catechized by him. Like Prajna, I entered the Church because of a sincere conviction that it could show historically that it is the Church founded by our Lord.

Prior to being Orthodox I was an evangelical Protestant of some 44 years. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2010 - 3:28AM #5
razzputin

Hell.  I cain't remember a thang.  I wuz still on the tittie!  I wuz a Bulgarian, raised by Bulgarians.  I guess that they didn't know no better.  I coulda been half Turk, 'cept my momma ran too fast!  Them Bulgarian girlz are faster than horses and as stubborn as donkeys.  Don't get me started on ornery....

The Orthodox Church is a comfortable as a pair of old shoes, jest don't wear 'em in the rain!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2010 - 5:19AM #6
Prajna

Bezant,

Before becoming Orthodox I was an Anglican (Episcopalian technically) but I highly favored traditional forms of worship.  I sought out the true essence of where it came from and how it unfolded.  I knew the history of the CoE and the Pisky (Episcopalian) Church in America and I knew about those papists.  

I'm struggling with my brain trying to figure out exactly what it was that lead me to understand and eventually join the Orthodox Church but I can't remember, which is now going to bother me.  

I wanted to visit the OC b/c I wanted to see with my eyes how traditional this worship was.  How true to the Liturgy practiced as to what I read about.  I remember walking in 30 minutes b4 Vespers to meet with the Priest.  Even though at that time the parish was renting out a old office to hold it's services, it was covered from wall to wall with framed Icons.  I remember the smell of the incense.  The burning of the candles on the Altar.  It was an experience that was beyond all my humanly perceptions.  

It was so assuring that what I was experiencing was something greater and more divinely inspired than any other "denomination" I ever attended.  What I experienced was something that was beyond me, beyond my generation going back a Milena, and that for the first time I experienced being taken away and that I felt totally cut off from everything that was happening outside of the Church.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2010 - 8:29PM #7
Kerygma

Razz... you old reprobate! Wink You never cease to crack me up.  So, you could have been a Turk were it not for your mother's being fleet of foot, eh? LOL

Prajna, now you've got me wondering along with you. What "was" that initial attraction that drove you to seek out your first Orthodox service? Keep thinking.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2010 - 4:46AM #8
Prajna

Hot damn now I remember!!!

This was about 5 years ago and my partner, who is now my ex, were taking a trip to go see an old friend of his.  His friend is a retired doctor and loaded with money.  He wanted to show us his new house.  So we got a tour of his home and in one room was dedicated to nothing but antique Icons.  These Icons were breathtaking.  I've never seen such beautiful imagery of Christ or the Theotokos.  Of course growing up Methodist then Episcopalian the closest imagery were stained glass windows or horrible modern-western styled images.  But these Icons which were centuries old just resonated in my heart.  Now that I remember this, I can recall slowly looking at each one and standing at them and feeling something that I've never felt before.  Each one just dug deeper and deeper into my heart and spoke to me.  

I asked my ex's friend what kind of paintings were these b/c I've never seen such beautiful works of Christian art before, not even in papists churches.  He then told me he was a Greek Orthodox.  I retorted back that he didn't sound Greek and he said that he was a convert to the GOC.  The rest of the night he told me all about the GOC.  I was starstruck.  I remember hearing of Greek Churches or Russian Churches but it always seemed it was an ethnic thing and one had to be of that nationality to join.  Of course I grew up and live in the Bible belt so I just always thought that being Protestant/Episcopalian was the national church for the US like the Greek Church is for Greece and so on.  

He leant me Frederica Matthews-Greene book "Facing East" and from that point on I started my journey to the Holy Orthodox Church.  

I'm so glad that I finally remembered this!!!  

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook