Switch to Forum Live View What became of the Jaredite stones?
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 2:07AM #1
maniya

Anyone know anything on what became of the 16 Jaredite stones? 

Just wondering if they've ever turned up in our days, and who is in possession of them.  I imagine if I had one, I wouldn't tell just anyone... it would be a very special thing that I would not announce to the world.  But, thought I'd ask anyways if anyone has heard of where they went.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 4:25AM #2
BillThinks4Himself

I have them.  I've been saving them for a rainy day.  Here in Florida, hurricanes can knock out the power grid.  Nothing gives comfort to a family sitting in the dark, with no AC, quite like glowing rocks.  A few years ago, when we had five hurricanes in the same season, we used the stones to facilitate a game of shadow puppets.  A good time was had by all.

There was a line in the last Batman movie (scripture for our time) about heroes: You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.  It's like that with glowing rocks.  Holy relics are only holy when they're objects as real to us as the characters of our favorite TV shows - but only accessible through sacred literature.  Should they survive the end of the story, they would be like Cinderella's glass slipper, proof that something really happened.  By definition, the story has to have its own version of "plausible deniability."  There can't be any smoking gun evidence.  Otherwise, there'd be no merit in believing any more than there is in accepting that the sun will rise tomorrow.

The Jaredite stones are with the Liahona and the Brass Plates of Laban, which are with the Golden Plates, the Ark of the Covenant, Elijah's Chariot of Fire, Moses's staff, the 10 Commandments, the uneaten manna, the Holy Grail and some leftover wine from Jesus's miraculous catering feat during the Marriage of Cana.  If you think that's weird, try hiding an Ark the size of the Queen Mary

It works with people, too.  Where are the graves of Adam, Eve, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph and the major prophets of the Old Testament?  Where are they really?  Enoch walked with God "and was not."  Noah left no grave.  Nor did Moses whose name is not found anywhere in Egypt nor is there a single grave for him.  God wouldn't let him enter the Holy Land - presumably over some miscommunication about how to order water from a rock.  All of this is just a cover story for the fact that not one single grave in Israel is marked "Moses" - at least not the same Moses who parted the Red Sea.  Elijah flew up to Heaven in his Chariot of Fire.  There's no archaeological record of those children allegedly killed by Herod, nor is there any record marking Pharaoh's slaughter of Hebrews to the gods of Egypt.  Jesus ascended to Heaven.  The Nephites disappeared.  The Three Nephites must be still around because they keep showing up to wards and then leaving.

Which is not to mock such things.  It's that all of this stuff is like a dream, with no telltale bits of reality left behind.  It's up to the individual to decide what happened, and what to make of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 7:01PM #3
moksha8088

Aug 22, 2010 -- 6:59PM, moksha8088 wrote:

Bill, I know for a fact that you do not have the Minas Ithil stone, since it was undoubtedly shattered during the fall of the Barad-dûr at the end of the Third Age.

Possibly its remnants were swept away to the upstate New York area.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 5:04PM #4
maniya

Funny, thanks for making me smile Bill  :)

But why haven't the 3 Nephites ever visited my ward?! 

Thought you might be interested in a little American archeology, check out this youtube channel regarding archaeological evidence of the Nephites:

www.youtube.com/user/ParallelPro#p/u

I've been interested in Nephite archeology ever since I was a child and heard a lecture on the subject by Duane Erickson.  My dad and I went to his house afterwards to discuss further.  He had a huge map of the US laid out, covered with colored pins which coded back to his copy of the Book of Mormon.  Every single passage that had any reference to location, place, names, geography, was color coded and studied by him.  He had traveled to many of these places, to find out about their ancient history and any clues that might be there... such as the American Indian's names for places, and so on.  He had studied American archeology exhaustively as well, and had come to several conclusions of where Nephite civilization lived, and where certain events must have occurred.

Mr. Erickson himself is a fascinating person, into such hobbies as kayaking and cross-bow hunting.  It was so many years ago, and I still remember that visit to his home.  I found it strange that he was dismissed by FARMS and other church organizations.  His research on the subject was impeccable.

Since that time, I lived in the Great Lakes Area for awhile, and had an experience of feeling the intensity and seeing a Nephite battle in vision.... I am convinced of Mr. Erickson's (and now other people as well) conclusions of the Nephites residing in that area.

I don't usually bring this subject up, coz I hate arguing about things like this... which oppose typically Mormon thought about the Nephites living in Central or South America.  But thought of it immediately when you were saying the Nephites disappeared without a trace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 9:46PM #5
maniya

By the way Moksha, what is the Minas Ithil stone?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 10:26PM #6
MMCSFOX

WOW, someone that has not read the Lord of the Rings.

The seeng stone, it can be found in the "return of the Kings"

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 11:34PM #7
maniya

ooooooooh!  I watched Lord of the Rings, but very inattentively.  I found it rather creepy.  The "preeeeeeecioooous" thing annoyed me to no end.... I must have tuned out the part about a stone!

My apologies to all the fans I just offended.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 11:37PM #8
maniya

I did TRY to read Lord of the Rings when I was younger... it was one of the few books which I picked up and couldn't finish.  Couldn't get past the endless descriptions of scenery. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:47AM #9
BillThinks4Himself

Aug 23, 2010 -- 11:37PM, maniya wrote:

I did TRY to read Lord of the Rings when I was younger... it was one of the few books which I picked up and couldn't finish.  Couldn't get past the endless descriptions of scenery. 

You and me both.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook