Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Born into the Church of Christ but lacking on faith
7 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2010 - 4:08AM #1
shelbysmiles

Hi,

I am a born and raised COC member.  I'm now 34 and have been struggling with my faith for several years.  I've taken on the mantra "Fake it until you make it".  I still teach my children about God and Jesus and how to pray.  I still teach Childrens' Bible Hour.  I still want to believe. 

My problem is that I'm not so sure what I have faith in.  From my days in bible school I was taught that our church has been here since Jesus left the Earth.  This is not true.  The church of Christ was not founded until the late 1800's/early 1900's. It was founded by just a man. I was taught that since we have been around since Jesus' death we are the only one's going to Heaven.  Well, that simple can not be true.  Obviously COC is an offshoot of another religion; my reserach has shown Presbyterian-because of the argument of instruments. Am I really supposed to believe that a loving God will send his children to death because of a piano?  I have children...there is nothing that they can do that would make me cause them eternal pain.  Does anyone else in the COC see the irrationality in this?  Why are we so high and mighty and judgemental that we think we are the only ones that will be saved?

I honestly find us the worst of sinners.  We have judged every religion that is not ours.  We try to sheild ourselves by saying we know what the Word says.  Please, how many have actually read the Bible.  We pick and choose scriptures just like every other religion does.

Am I wrong to want to believe in a loving God?  Not a God who will condemm millions because they did not worship Him the way we do?  We have quite the ego, ey?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 6:08AM #2
Barnsweb

May I encourage you to discover the real truth?  And this truth should be able to abide even in the Church of Christ:

Jesus said, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."  Knowing the truth is contingent on abiding in His word.  I also had trouble and spent a time looking into what Jesus DID teach, not COC doctrine, or the doctrine of any Church - but what Did Jesus actually teach.  If this helps your faith, pass it on.  One teaching of Jesus is that if we want to know if what He taught is of God, that by willing to do whatever He said, that as we grow in those things, we will know if what He taught is true - we receive the very witness that can only come from God.  Don't give up.  Give Jesus a chance.

www.onediscipletoanother.org

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2011 - 5:44PM #3
PrayerMonger

Struggling with faith is just the name of the game.  Teach your children what you believe, but also teach them to be open to discovering their own spirituality.

Good Luck! Smile

My favorite Prayers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2011 - 10:24PM #4
belleo

Jan 14, 2011 -- 5:44PM, PrayerMonger wrote:

Struggling with faith is just the name of the game.  Teach your children what you believe, but also teach them to be open to discovering their own spirituality.

Good Luck! 

What is faith ? I've asked myself that question . Faith is different things to different people . Sometimes we think our children are losing the faith .

Can we do anythong to gain faith ? Hearing the Word of God is necessary . We must pray for faith . It is a gift from God .

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2011 - 1:17PM #5
Xapisma

Faith is not belief.

Faith is trust.

We trust God to be faithful to us, no matter what.

The opposite of faith is not doubt.

The opposite of faith is certainty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2011 - 11:39AM #6
Bob10

Hebrews 3:18 , 21st Century KJV -- And to whom did He swear that they should not enter into His rest, but to those who believed not?

And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? Heb. 3:18, NASB.

He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." - Jn 3:36, NASB.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2011 - 11:48AM #7
Bob10

The wicked shall be a ransom for the righteous,
      And the unfaithful for the upright.  - Proverbs 21:18. NKJV

The wicked shall be a ransom for the righteous, and the transgressor for the upright. -- Proverbs 21:18, KJV

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook