Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Another step in my Journey
7 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2010 - 2:15PM #1
atkegar

Grace and pece be with you.  I have decided to do something that I have been figthing for several years now.  I know in my heart of hearts I am being called to go the the Catholic Church.  So I will start to attend Mass regularly this Sunday.  I have not decided yet if I will start RCIA this year, to convert Easter Vigil 2011, or go for a full year, and convert Easter vigil 2012.  I do have some issues I need to work out in my heart in terms of the authority of the Bishop of Rome.  I also have no issues with the Ordination of women, nor married clergy.  Pray for me as I go through this process.

Yours in Christ

atkegar

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2010 - 12:03AM #2
Mysty101

Hi atkegar,

Welcome to this forum.

Please share your journey with us.  We are here to help and support you any way we can.

God bless & guide you.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2010 - 3:31PM #3
atkegar

Jul 31, 2010 -- 12:03AM, Mysty101 wrote:

Hi atkegar,

Welcome to this forum.

Please share your journey with us.  We are here to help and support you any way we can.

God bless & guide you.

SuZ

Thanks for your support.  I will say that I have had second thoughts about my decision, but every time I had rejected the Catholic Church, sometime later (maybe a month or two), something comes up in my mind to reconsider it.  As for my overall journey, I was born and raised United Methodist.  I have fallen in love with liturgical worship, and last year, I became an Episcopalian.  With the issues as to the Episcopal Church's future in the Anglican Communion,   I realized I needed to move on.  I thought I wanted to return to the UMC, but I realize I miss the worship.  In the meantime, I see (maybe rightly, maybe in error) the Catholic Church as an anecdote for both theological liberalism (with its overly optimistic view on the progress of humanity), and Christian Fundamentalism (and especially Dispensationism) on the other hand.  We will see where this jouney will end.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2010 - 8:32PM #4
Mysty101

Hi again,

I am a cradle catholic, and can't imaging being anything else, especially another christian.  I do believe that Jesus did give Peter and his successors the Keys to the Kingdom. 

Yes, there have been some real blunders on the part of some men, but that does not change what Jesus said and did.

But I do respect and support those who do not believe as I do.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 11:13AM #5
steve123

This is a relevant and important topic to me personally.  I, like you, was raised Methodist.  After marriage to a Lutheran, I switched to Lutheranism.  This was my first immersion into a more liturgical sacramental life, as the methodist church I grew up in was more like a non-denominational evangelical church than anything else.  I think being lutheran for the last 12 years now has helped lead me to the Catholic Church.   Mine has been a journey of taking 2 steps towards it, and one step back.  For example, I would study the topic of apostolic succession and see it as very valid in the RCC.  I would then get nervous of converting, and go back to the Lutheran Church.  Later, after soul searching, praying and watching EWTN, my love affair with the Church would get rekindled, and I would find myself back in the office of the local parish priest.  I'm to the point right now where nothing that used to bother me about the church does any longer - Mary, apostolic succession, Pope as Vicar of Christ, praying for intercession of our departed brethren - the Saints, the Rosary, transubstantiation, priests as confessors, and a few others.  I'm to the point, having gone through about 1/2 of an RCIA class last year, that there is nothing stopping me from fully being in communion with the RCC.  The only problems, and major ones at that, are the opposition from my wife, and loss of fellowship with my Lutheran brothers and sisters.  My plan, if enacted upon, would be for me to join the church in a non-easter setting (I don't like big celebrations and fanfare) quitely.  This is why I am seeing the priest for in about 5 days from now.  The other obstacle would by my family's support.  The one thing I wish is that it would be easier to come into communion with the Church.  It generally takes way too long.  The discernment process, like mine, can be long and take a long while, but when one is ready to join, there shouldn't be a waiting period.  This is one of the topics I will be discussing with the Priest.  He has eluded to the fact that some people can join in unusual circumstances outside of the Easter vigil Mass. If that is the case, I would have full weekends in worship of God - Saturday at the local Vineyard Church (my kids like the Vineyard), Sunday morning early Mass, and then Sunday 10:30 worship at the Lutheran church. 

Anyway, God bless you in your steps toward the RCC.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 6:24PM #6
Mysty101

And God bless you Steve,

I am a daily communicant, married to a Jewish man.  My adult children (all of whom attended Mass with me through high school, and my eldest daughter even became an EMHC at Boston College)-one still wants to be considered Catholic, but rarely attends Mass, my son sorta believes in God, and my younger daughter wishes she could believe, but doesn't.

Your family will love you regardless of your religion.  I like your plan.  I joined the choir for fellowship, since none of my family wants to worship with me.  My faith is very important to me, and I make sure I worship.  Not as much because it is an obligation, as because I know I need God far more than He needs me (even though I know He loves me)

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 8:12AM #7
steve123

SuZ,

Thank you.  God Bless you, too!  Thanks for the encouragement!

Do you run into any problems being married to someone of another faith?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 5:39PM #8
Mysty101

Sure everyone has differences.

I am fortunate that my husband always encouraged my beliefs.  His are not strong in faith, and he really wanted the kids to believe in something.  Since he is not a Church/temple goer, and I am, he did not object to the children being raised Catholic. As you suggest, we do also celebate the Jewish holidays--we light the menorah, celebrate passover (I do some form of sadar every year), and we break the fast at Yom Kipur, as well as celebrate Rosh hashanah.

It is easier for us, since my husband does not attend temple.  I did not object to the rite of circumcision for my son, and he did not object to his baptism a month later, although I did need to do it quietly during the week, and he didn't attend. 

Please let us know how you are progressing.

Love & Prayers,

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 5:53PM #9
atkegar

I thought I would give an update.  I did go to Mass last Sunday, and did find it fulfilling.  While I have been before, this was the first time that I went leaning toward becoming a Catholic.  I did get information as to who to contact on RCIA, but I will still pray on this for a few weeks.  I have had second thoughts at times, but it is more of how to explain to those close to me about my thoughts.  I am actually more concerned about talking to my Catholic Sister-In-Law (she goes to Saturday evening Mass, while I will go on Sunday morning), than the rest of the family.  Most of my family are not active in any Church.  As I think I have said before, in my theology, I am between the Episcopal Church and the Catholic Church, but I think I am closer to the Catholic. 

I have already worked out the Eucharist in my mind, and for a few years, I have become convinced the Eucharist should be the normal for Christian Worship.  On Mary, if I convert, I will conform to Catholic Theology, but it is not an issue one way or the other.  I still need to work where authority in the Church lies.

Take care all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2010 - 8:46PM #10
Mysty101

Hi.

Thanks for the update.  It is good to go slow when you are unsure.  We are here for you, regardless of your decision.

God bless you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook