Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Another step in my Journey
7 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2010 - 10:07AM #11
steve123

Thanks, Suz!

God bless, atkegar on your journey!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2010 - 12:27AM #12
Prajna

Atkegar,

Have you considered the Eastern Orthodox Church?  It is the One Holy Apostolic Church founded by Christ.  America's best kept secret! 

orthodoxyinamerica.org/about_orthodoxy.h...

www.antiochian.org/discoverorthodoxchris...

goarch.org/ourfaith/

www.oca.org/QAIndex.asp?SID=3

-Ignatius

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2010 - 6:11PM #13
atkegar

To answer the last post in this thread, I actually would consider Orthodoxy if they were closer to where I live, but I don't wish to travel an hour fifteen minutes each way to go to Church.  So, I will continue to attend both an Episopal Eucharist (the "early" morning said Rite I Eucharist, with no music), and a RCC Mass.  I realize I am not ready to start RCIA at this time, and I may never reach that point.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 3:39AM #14
Richgr

Eastern Orthodox may be the One, Holy, and Apostolic Church, but it isn't the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. They've got three; Catholic's got four. Wink

But all divergences aside, I highly recommend immersing yourself in the prayer of the Church. Look up the Liturgy of the Hours. A fantastic prayer is the Rosary (many Protestants recoil at the Rosary but only because they don't know what it truly is!).

The Rosary is a memorial of all the principle events of Christ's awesome life. Crystallized in 20 "tablets" so to speak each speaks of Christ's Infinite Love and Goodness. A fantastic meditation, a true source of sanctity, as so many Saints have attested to.

Perhaps you already know about it or even pray it. If you do, just ignore me!! But if you don't, check out this page: www.ewtn.com/devotionals/prayers/rosary/

God bless you in your journey!

+JMJ+
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 11:24AM #15
Bezant

Atekgar,

I'm a "convert" to the Catholic Church from Methodism. Long story.

I don't recommend writing something off before you try it. I didn't go thorugh RCIA program, but my mother did, and it's not as far as I know like studying on your own, or in a group; you'll certainly get a more definitive yes or no if you try it.

"Eastern Orthodox may be the One, Holy, and Apostolic Church, but it isn't the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. They've got three; Catholic's got four. Wink"

The Orthodox refer to themselfes in the same manner: One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic. In my opinion they're "universal."

And I would recommend that potential converts to Catholicism also examine the Orthodox theology, particularly if you're interested in Eastern Christianity.

BTW -- it's not well known, sometimes even amoung Roman Catholics, that there is an Eastern Rite of the Catholic Church, which accepts papal authority but retains its own liturgy and customs.

At the end of the day, however, they're not very different.

The Liturgy of the Hours is a great devotion and tradition, and I also highly recommend it. Frankly the rosary's not my cup of tea, but if you're interested, try it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2010 - 11:00AM #16
Mysty101

Hi again,

Yes, prayer is the most important aspect of the discernment process.  We have many prayers in the Cloister (click here) forum. 

We'll be glad to help you , if you care to discuss prayer here, or there, or in any of the forums.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook