Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

7 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2010 - 10:42PM #1
Jehovahs_light

I have been reading Science and Health with keys to the sciptures but have a very hard time understanding a lot of it. I am really interested in your faith and want to know more about it. How does one pray in CS? If one was to ask God for direction in life and to help with some personal problems how would one pray? If one was sick or in pain how would one conduct their prayers for that? There is no near by CS church or center in my area at all so I was wondering how I can use CS in my life daily with out going to an actual Chruch or reading room? Thank you so much for your time and anwsers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2010 - 6:25AM #2
IByrnison

Hi Jehovah's Light.  I am by no means an expert of Christian Science, but I was raised one and I still practice CS at age 19 so I will do my best to answer your questions.

I don't know how much you know about Christian Science, but I will try to first give you a little background about the faith and then address your questions.  In Christian Science, we believe that God is all and God is good, therefore everything must be good.  There's no room for anything bad.  Man, then, is spiritual, and made up not of the flesh and bone that our material senses reveal to us.  We are all just spiritual expressions of God.  It is our spiritual, Godlike qualities that define us, such as joy, grace, intelligence, love, and many others.  What I would say is the goal of a Christian Scientist is to overcome the lying material sense and realize fully our true spiritual state of being.

Now to address your questions more specifically:

How does one pray?  When we pray, we are trying to eliminate error from our thought, because our thought is all that is preventing us from realizing our true spiritual selves.  I've heard a lot of different methods for prayer in Christian Science, but I will tell you what I generally do.

First, I like to talk to God as if he is a person.  It's hard for me to get my mind around what God really is, but when I talk to Him, thought I don't expect Morgan Freeman to be somewhere listening to me, it helps me to organize my thoughts.  So maybe I'll tell God what the problem is that I'm dealing with.  For this example, let's just say that there's someone I'm not getting along with at school.  I'll tell God about the situation, and maybe why I think we're not getting along or whatever.  Then, I want to think of the problem from a spiritual perspective.  Now in Spiritual Reality there are no problems, so what I'm really thinking about is the spiritual qualities governing the ideal situation that would replace the problem.  I will think about how we're all children of God, governed by the same spiritual qualities that leave no room for discord or anger.  I'm sure there are a lot of things that this person does that annoy me, but in this prayer session I'll decide that I need to focus more on the Godlike qualities that they express.  No matter how much of a problem you have with someone, if you try hard enough you will be able to find something Godlike about them.
Once I've thought of one Godlike quality they express, it becomes easier to find more and more, and eventually the Spiritual, Good Reality of situation will become clear to me and the material, problematic lie will dissolve.
I guess as a summary, prayer for me is an attempt to organize my thoughts and figure out how to put my problem into a spiritual context so that I can pursue the Truth.

This was pretty much my first attempt to explain my prayer process or my religion to anyone, so I wouldn't doubt that it was at least a little bit confusing...  Please don't hesitate to ask more questions and I will do my best to answer them!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 10:31AM #3
U2chip

I want to applaud you for your response and say that for a 19 year old to have the clarity of thought and the ability to articulate that thought is maturity beyond your years. It must be a God thing.  I certainly don't represent the CS Board of Publications which is the official authorized responder to queries but I will say that if you hold to those Truths and continue to respond to questions in this fashion you represent CS very well

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2014 - 5:25PM #4
Cls
Very Good! I am thinking that one may apply this process of prayer to any and all situations and find healing of thought.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook