Switch to Forum Live View Could it happen today?
4 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2010 - 8:33AM #1
Redbaron

This year (2010) marks the 85th anniversary of the Church Union in Canada.  In 1925, after about 2 decades or more of discussion, debate, disagreement, compromise, etc. several denominations merged to form the United Church of Canada. 

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.  Highlights and low points, 'aha!' moments and 'oops!' times, things that have vrought us closer together and things that have threatened to tear us asunder.  Quite a ride, all in all.

The question is, what if it had happened now, instead of then?  What issues are there today that would play a role in union?  What would tend to bring three or four different streams of Christian spirituality together, or what would prevent them from doing so?  What would our faithful anscestors be discussing today, if Union were on the table now?

You are a unique, special individual, just like everyone else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2010 - 12:40PM #2
Patricklongworth

Being a recent visitor to a United Church in my new hometown for the month since I arrived, I am not aware of or don't recall the original issues that brought the churches to form the United Church.

I originally returned to church as an adult to a warm and loving evangelical church in the Vancouver area and served at the church for many years.  My circumstances changed recently and I found myself in a town with three church buildings (four denominations) and I visited three of the denominations (Anglican, Catholic and United).

Ultimately I felt most welcomed and most comfortable at the United Church and so I attend there though I am very aware of controversies involving the United Church or at least some of the churches within the United denomination.

I would imagine that perhaps the people who formed the United Church might see the same need for unity today.  There are so many different denominations and many churches within each denomination and it appears there is little connecting them together which is not what a Christian might expect, given that the early church was united in fellowship.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook