Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 9:15AM #11
mecdukebec

As a Reformed Christian, I would recommend doing your own research with the basic, textual sources:  Get a copy of the Quest for the Historical Jesus and acquaint yourself with that area of scholarship.  Learn Koine Greek and study the textual variants of the Greek NT:  You'll see that much of Ehrman says is very garden-variety, and has been known to NT scholarship for 200 years.  Do the same with the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, and learn the issues with the Masoretic text of the Hebrew Bible.  -- It's hard work, but it's your work.

Oh, and in the Refomed Christian vein, wear dark clothing, spend innumerable hours in church libraries, and wear coke-bottle glasses so that your eyes make you seem a lizard.  That helps.  Money mouth

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 10:28AM #12
Dutch777

Jul 10, 2010 -- 9:15AM, mecdukebec wrote:

As a Reformed Christian, I would recommend doing your own research with the basic, textual sources:  Get a copy of the Quest for the Historical Jesus and acquaint yourself with that area of scholarship.  Learn Koine Greek and study the textual variants of the Greek NT:  You'll see that much of Ehrman says is very garden-variety, and has been known to NT scholarship for 200 years.  Do the same with the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, and learn the issues with the Masoretic text of the Hebrew Bible.  -- It's hard work, but it's your work.

Uh, Mecduke, he asked for roller skates and you advise him to buy a Rolls Royce.

Oh, and in the Refomed Christian vein, wear dark clothing, spend innumerable hours in church libraries, and wear coke-bottle glasses so that your eyes make you seem a lizard.  That helps. 

OK, but how's the food?Tongue out

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 10:29AM #13
Dutch777

Bob:

Thanks for the info.  I hadn't realized the JS had moved to FB.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 11:12AM #14
Kimball

Oh, and in the Refomed Christian vein, wear dark clothing, spend innumerable hours in church libraries, and wear coke-bottle glasses so that your eyes make you seem a lizard.  That helps. 

Mecduke,  Amen to your comments on Ehrman.  I don't know how his publisher can allow him to say essentially the same things in multiple ways with book after book.  There must be $$$$$$ in it, but I would hardly consider it profound or novel.  He magnifies minor points far beyond their significance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 4:29PM #15
mecdukebec

Jul 10, 2010 -- 11:12AM, Kimball wrote:

Mecduke,  Amen to your comments on Ehrman.  I don't know how his publisher can allow him to say essentially the same things in multiple ways with book after book.  There must be $$$$$$ in it, but I would hardly consider it profound or novel.  He magnifies minor points far beyond their significance.

Ehrman is a good scholar.  He's of a lineage that you and I have seen, and that's perfectly fine:  He was educated in a fundagelical school (Moody Bible Institute), and as his education kicked away those blinders, the "kind of Jesus" he knew, changed, too:  Now he describes himself as agnostic/atheist.

As I say, as one who works with the sources, I just don't see reason to "chuck Jesus" out with the textual problems of the NT.

I happen to believe that he was risen from the dead, and that is what makes his claims unique.  The NT and the Jesus tradition therein might have some real fundamental textual issues, but for me, as a Reformed Christian, the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth (to quote a title of an Anglican hefty scholar) means that he is the Word of God.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 4:31PM #16
mecdukebec
Dutch, I don't know about Anglican/Episcopal congo church suppers in the Great Lakes areas; but in the Ohio Conference of the UCC, there are gloriously, obscene, orgiastic church suppers that are the envy of Christendom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 6:50PM #17
Dutch777

Jul 10, 2010 -- 4:29PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Ehrman is a good scholar. He's of a lineage that you and I have seen, and that's perfectly fine: He was educated in a fundagelical school (Moody Bible Institute), and as his education kicked away those blinders, the "kind of Jesus" he knew, changed, too: Now he describes himself as agnostic/atheist. As I say, as one who works with the sources, I just don't see reason to "chuck Jesus" out with the textual problems of the NT. I happen to believe that he was risen from the dead, and that is what makes his claims unique. The NT and the Jesus tradition therein might have some real fundamental textual issues, but for me, as a Reformed Christian, the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth (to quote a title of an Anglican hefty scholar) means that he is the Word of God.

I fully concur with each point.

BTW --- in the religion news on line that I receive daily, it was recently announced that the World Communion Of Reformed Churches has been formed.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 6:51PM #18
Dutch777

Jul 10, 2010 -- 4:31PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Dutch, I don't know about Anglican/Episcopal congo church suppers in the Great Lakes areas; but in the Ohio Conference of the UCC, there are gloriously, obscene, orgiastic church suppers that are the envy of Christendom.

Great !  Stamp my ticket !

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2010 - 8:13PM #19
mecdukebec

Jul 10, 2010 -- 6:50PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Ehrman is a good scholar. He's of a lineage that you and I have seen, and that's perfectly fine: He was educated in a fundagelical school (Moody Bible Institute), and as his education kicked away those blinders, the "kind of Jesus" he knew, changed, too: Now he describes himself as agnostic/atheist. As I say, as one who works with the sources, I just don't see reason to "chuck Jesus" out with the textual problems of the NT. I happen to believe that he was risen from the dead, and that is what makes his claims unique. The NT and the Jesus tradition therein might have some real fundamental textual issues, but for me, as a Reformed Christian, the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth (to quote a title of an Anglican hefty scholar) means that he is the Word of God.

I fully concur with each point.

BTW --- in the religion news on line that I receive daily, it was recently announced that the World Communion Of Reformed Churches has been formed.

Yes, and our fundagelicals in the Reformed wing of Christendom (-dumb) objected to the admission of godless UCCs in the WARC into the WCRC, etc

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2010 - 4:16AM #20
bvarnell

To hot here in the south for dark clothing....and I'll jump right on learning koine :p

But I agree with you...the findings of the Jesus Seminar haven't really affected my faith...I've read Spong and Borg (have more sympathy with Borg) and they haven't given me any reason to lack belief in Christ as the Son of God who rose from the dead. My experience with Christ is an experience of Christ victorious over death, a Christ who truly reconciled the world to God (now I don't believe he did this through is death, per se...I don't think God demanded a sacrifice of his own son)...but yeah, that's where I am :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook