Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

8 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2010 - 10:31PM #1
BoulderGuy

I often hear the complaint from Catholics, especially Catholics who for whatever reason, have fallen away from the Church, that they don't attend Mass because they don't get anything out of it.  I think this is the wrong way to approach the Mass and God. It seems to me to put the onus on the Church to provide the congregation with a reason, other than the real reason, for being there in the first place.  

I would like to share my perspective on this.  Although it may sound harsh, I believe the celebration of the Mass is not about you or me.  The Mass is a celebration of Jesus being in communion with us, it is intended to be a worship of God, to give worship to Him for His sacrifice for us and all He has given us.  If we enjoy being there for reasons such as the music, the atmosphere, the friendship with others, that is both well and good but these are side benefits from the real benefit. They are not the reason we should be there, neither is the reason that we feel obligated to be there.  I don't think God wants you to attend Mass just to get a ticket punched.  We should attend because we know it is what God wants us to do, to show our respect and to worship our God who gives us life, and everything we have.

While I fully support the efforts of the Church to make the Mass relevant to different age groups and  different ethnic groups, in the end the Mass could be held on the hood of a jeep, as it was in the battles of WWII or in a locked room above the streets of Jerusalem. The setting and the atmosphere are less important that the worship of God.

God Bless 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2010 - 3:39PM #2
Bezant

Jul 6, 2010 -- 10:31PM, BoulderGuy wrote:

I often hear the complaint from Catholics, especially Catholics who for whatever reason, have fallen away from the Church, that they don't attend Mass because they don't get anything out of it.  I think this is the wrong way to approach the Mass and God. It seems to me to put the onus on the Church to provide the congregation with a reason, other than the real reason, for being there in the first place.  

I would like to share my perspective on this.  Although it may sound harsh, I believe the celebration of the Mass is not about you or me.  The Mass is a celebration of Jesus being in communion with us, it is intended to be a worship of God, to give worship to Him for His sacrifice for us and all He has given us.  If we enjoy being there for reasons such as the music, the atmosphere, the friendship with others, that is both well and good but these are side benefits from the real benefit. They are not the reason we should be there, neither is the reason that we feel obligated to be there.  I don't think God wants you to attend Mass just to get a ticket punched.  We should attend because we know it is what God wants us to do, to show our respect and to worship our God who gives us life, and everything we have.

While I fully support the efforts of the Church to make the Mass relevant to different age groups and  different ethnic groups, in the end the Mass could be held on the hood of a jeep, as it was in the battles of WWII or in a locked room above the streets of Jerusalem. The setting and the atmosphere are less important that the worship of God.

God Bless 

Hullo Boulder

On one hand, I'm sceptical that Western rite liturgy is headed in the same direction as say, our Anglican/Episcopalian brothers.

But I agree with you about the sickening individualism. I've heard the "I don't get anything out of Mass" and "Catholic Mass is boring" countless times. Once I met this girl who said she stopped attending because, "The Catholic Church has lost its spark." As someone who's "converted," strayed, and returned, I can say the problem is not the Church, which has stood for 2,000 years, but often one's disconnect with Her, and one's individual focus. I'll admit Mass can be boring, but as you said it's not a celebration for individual entertainment. It's the one hour in the week where "I" becomes "we."

While I disapprove of "parish-shopping," every Mass I re-see as though for the first time. It's a good idea to visit a different parish (especially if it's a different rite), for personal benefit but to also connect with different Catholic communities.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2010 - 5:26PM #3
BoulderGuy

Bezant,

I too have moved parishes, along with moving from city to city, but I usually find a parish close to home and stick with it.  I have been in very conservative and somewhat liberal parishes, but I attend for the Mass, like you do.  I really like the parish I am in now in West Houston.

Thanks for your welcome.

God Bless

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2010 - 10:33AM #4
Bezant

Good to hear you're based in a good parish, Boulder. No problem. God bless in peace.

Bez

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2010 - 7:43AM #5
Mysty101

Hi,

Good to hear from both of you.

Yes, the Eucharist is the central point of our Religion, commemorating the death and ressurection of Christ.  Also one of the precepts of the Church is to attend Mass.  In speaking to the Apostles (and through them to their successors) Christ did say "He who hears you, hears Me."

Many of us go through dry periods.  Mother Teresa suffered for years, receiving no consolation from her Faith.  The spark is in ourself----if it dies, it is because we allowed it.  Prayer is even more important during the dry times, when we are a better target for saten.

In dry times, I try to remind myself of these words of St Teresa-

"Those deceive themselves who believe that union with God consists in ecstasies or raptures, and in enjoyment of Him. For it consists in nothing except the surrender and subjection of our will."

And this- not St Teresa, but similar in attitude, "You do not have to feel God's touch to be touched by God."

Again, thanks for the great posts.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook