Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Ratzinger WAS Part of the Problem
7 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 9:06AM #11
teilhard

In addition, The Church-State Questions STILL looms VERY large in such a Case ... The Seal of Confession is inviolable, and LONG is recognized as such in Secular Courts ...

Jul 2, 2010 -- 3:02PM, Ebon wrote:

Has he actually committed a crime though? Morally repugnant though his alleged actions may have been, I'm unclear on whether Vatican City is a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and if they're not, he probably can't be prosecuted under international law. Whether ordering or facilitating the cover-up of such crimes is illegal depends on what jurisdiction th crimes were committed in. Some countries and states have such laws, some don't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2010 - 4:16AM #12
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

While a relaxed site-wide ROC standard applied to the discussion on that forum, the tighter forum-wide ROC standard and all local guidelines for this forum — including the fact that this is not a debate forum — apply to discussion from this point forward.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2010 - 11:14AM #13
Mysty101

Hi,

I think we hashed this over a while back in another thread, but the topic is still very pressing, especially to Catholics.

Unfortunately Pope Benedict does not have the best people skills, and certainly needs to choose his words more carefully.  Could it be the difference in languages?  Does the German phrase for "petty gossip" have a different connotation?

The Church has definitely shown that she failed miserably in years past, and it will be hard to get the real facts in many cases, but I believe that there have been many changes for the better.  And I also believe the Pope does appreciate the horror, and realizes the Bishops are to blame, as well as the perverts.  His interview on the plane to Spain was very encourageing to me.  And his visit to the US was full of compassion for the victims.

Then we had the Palm Sunday slam, and more recently, he appeared more concerned that his "year of the Priest" was spoiled than that there was a cover-up.  (The revelations were the work of the devil?  How about the crimes???)

Does anyone know enough German to understand that this may be poor communication?

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2010 - 11:13PM #14
jane2

Jul 15, 2010 -- 11:14AM, Mysty101 wrote:

Hi,

I think we hashed this over a while back in another thread, but the topic is still very pressing, especially to Catholics.

Unfortunately Pope Benedict does not have the best people skills, and certainly needs to choose his words more carefully.  Could it be the difference in languages?  Does the German phrase for "petty gossip" have a different connotation?

The Church has definitely shown that she failed miserably in years past, and it will be hard to get the real facts in many cases, but I believe that there have been many changes for the better.  And I also believe the Pope does appreciate the horror, and realizes the Bishops are to blame, as well as the perverts.  His interview on the plane to Spain was very encourageing to me.  And his visit to the US was full of compassion for the victims.

Then we had the Palm Sunday slam, and more recently, he appeared more concerned that his "year of the Priest" was spoiled than that there was a cover-up.  (The revelations were the work of the devil?  How about the crimes???)

Does anyone know enough German to understand that this may be poor communication?

SuZ

Benedict certainly has excellent translators at his disposal.

It is his disposition that is in effect. I think he would like to have compassion for the victims but not at the price he would have to pay. He is intent on preserving a Church that no longer exists as he would have it.

The latest Vatican pronoucement that includes the ordination of women as a serious "crime" against the Church along with the molestation and rape of children is a clue to Benedict and curial thinking. Some want to tell us the two are not equated, but publishing this document is just plain inflaming on the face of it. It is destructive no matter how construed.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2010 - 7:19AM #15
Mysty101

Hi Jane,

I still wonder if some of Benedict's phrases have a different connotation to him.  Whatever the problem, he really needs to choose his words more carefully, and stop making a horrendous situation worse.

Perhaps the word "intimidated" was more a clue than "petty gossip".  He won't be intimidated, and will speak his mind, regardless of what damage is done by his words. 

Much prayer, and openness to the guidance of the Holy Spirit is needed.

SuZ

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2010 - 10:16PM #16
Mareczku

As always, Jane, many of your comments are on target. 

Peace - Mark 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook